Packing to go home

Tom Black

Jun 7, 2014
My wife has developed worsening Sundowning on most days of the week. Sometimes the trigger is noticeably a change of environment, doing something or going somewhere out of the ordinary. Other days there is no apparent reason. Recently attempts to get her to go to bed are accompanied by her urge to pack a case because she has to go home, even though she is in the home she has lived in for the past 25 years. Having packed she is constantly moving it from one location to another. Some times she will put her coat on and want to go out to catch a train to go home. It is often a very lengthy process to calm her down sufficiently to get her into bed. The whole process has taken up to 2hours with her getting more agitated as time goes by.
Any advice on dealing with these problems would be most welcome
Tom Black

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I spent most of last winter with this level of agitation. The consultant put my husband initially on 50 mg of Trazadone at night and gradually increased this to 250 mg over the course of the day. He is so much calmer and can relax in the evening instead of us walking the streets.

It takes a few weeks to get used to it but give it time if she is prescribed something similar.

Misstep

Oct 7, 2015
South Wales
It might be worth taking her on a short circular walk out of sight of the house and when you arrive back, say "here we are. Home at last". I didn't have exactly this problem, but a similar approach worked for my Mum

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I'm. afraid it's another case of trial and error in dealing with sundowning and packing to go home. Either of the above suggestions are valid, medicate or try distraction.

Our suitcases were in the garage but that was no help. My husband put his clothes in supermarket plastic bags or bin liners.

I had to let my husband go otherwise he would have become aggressive. I followed him at a distance . I was very lucky our son lives a five minute walk away so I was able to phone him and he would 'meet' his father and encourage him to accompany him to his home where he would stay until the episode passed. Even though my husband didn't know me, he always knew our son.

We did use medication but I'm afraid it wasn't particularly helpful.

I'm sorry for the doom and gloom. We had a bad time with sundowning. I really hope Tom Black, things improve for you .

Tom Black

Jun 7, 2014
Diversionary tactics failed

Sundowning kicked in at about 16.30 today, triggered I think by a newspaper report about terrorism. On laying the table for tea there were three slices of cake but I was told " someone has stolen the cake. I suggested we go and buy a cake which we did at our usual shop. She did not recognise the shop, when we got back home, which was where she wanted to go, she did not recognise the street or the house where we live. We did have some tea but my wife refused both the old and the new cake!
Tom Black

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
Am I the only one crying ?

O H sundowning now for just 3 weeks . Packing as is rightly said into anything.Usually the carrier bags I have recently bought anything and everything goes in. I can usually pursued him that it's too late ,too cold ,too dark and we will go in the morning .Yes Iwill set the alarm for6.30.
We t out for a few hours this after noon with our lovely daughter got home5.30 dark though.
One dog missing, one bag packed to go home, coat on, some foreigners have. been and the other man told them to go away, there are two people in the living room so we need to stay in the kitchen , I am in tears. So no I have no suggestions. I am sending his doctor on Thursday to discuss. I hope she has suggestions as it is all too much for me and this is only the start. I am not copeing I feel at 57 I need my Mum

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
O H sundowning now for just 3 weeks . Packing as is rightly said into anything.Usually the carrier bags I have recently bought anything and everything goes in. I can usually pursued him that it's too late ,too cold ,too dark and we will go in the morning .Yes Iwill set the alarm for6.30.
We t out for a few hours this after noon with our lovely daughter got home5.30 dark though.
One dog missing, one bag packed to go home, coat on, some foreigners have. been and the other man told them to go away, there are two people in the living room so we need to stay in the kitchen , I am in tears. So no I have no suggestions. I am sending his doctor on Thursday to discuss. I hope she has suggestions as it is all too much for me and this is only the start. I am not copeing I feel at 57 I need my Mum

Sorry Mindy, it's so distressing isn't it? I hope the doctor can help.