p.o.a

dave b

Nov 21, 2006
staffs
i'm having a problem! only one bank.is giving me grief santander/abbeyapparently they ****** up the p.o a and i can oly access one account i need to one from a to b but they wont let me any ideas?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I'm sorry I'm not sure I understand your post. Do you have an EPA? Is it registered? Are you trying to move funds from one account to another?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Incidentally I have just been to the Abbey website to see how they handle power of attorneys: you may have better luck than I because the website won't display properly with either of my browsers. I have rarely seen such an awful interface.

dave b

Nov 21, 2006
staffs
thanks for coming back jeniferpa
i probably never expressed my problem properly last night it was late!
basicly all ineeded to do was move an amount from one acc to another
the branch would't do it because the `computer say's no' the poa is not
registerd so now i have to go through the whole procedure at the branch
again, i just think the whole thing is out of order as head office keep sending
letters to me as attorney to the 1 acc surely they could talk to each other?
i dont hold my breath

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I think that each account in question needs to be separately registered for an EPA. If several are done at once it is fine, they have the EPA at the time.

When one is not registered at the time, they may need to see the EPA again to assure themselves it is still in operation.

Yes, one would think they could refer intermally to cross reference these things, but they have to be careful, to protect the person who is the subject of the EPA.

dave b

Nov 21, 2006
staffs
thanks brucie
that is very much what the guy in the branch said to me,
i suppose what wound me up so much is the fact that all dealings with other banks went so smoothley ie all accounts covered in one go that i expected abbey
to be the same just shows how naive? i am
cheers dave.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
I've found that not only are Abbey one of the pickiest places around when it comes to having to produce a ton of documents before you can do anything, they are ironically one of the places most likely to muck up once you've done this.

One year I had to send all the "identity" nonsense in again, because the branch had accepted one that they shouldn;t and not recorded the other, and last year they lost all the forms I sent in (and you have to send in a complete form for each account) so that I could have interest paid gross (as I'm not a taxpayer).

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hi Dave .. don't think you're naive at all ... and from the number of postings here about the problems with banks and EPAs (from myself included.....) .....

Unless there are any restrictions on the EPA specified by the donor, an organisation should accept the instruction globally (i.e. apply it to every account/facility the donor/attorneys have with them????) .....

The PGO sent me this fact sheet after registering mum's EPA with the Court of Protection .......

http://www.guardianship.gov.uk/downloads/Banking_Factsheet_for_Attorneys.pdf

Hope it's of some help,
Love, Karen (TF), x

dave b

Nov 21, 2006
staffs
thanks karen
have downloaded the info
will sit & digest,the complaints procedure is one way
but i will probably give them what they want
get it sorted then close all accs with them
even though i have had my accounts with them since 1972
cheers dave

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
The thing is Dave, I think you said the EPA isn't registered with the Court of Protection? In which case you're dealing with a given bank using their power of attorney procedures, and you have to follow their requirements. I don't think there is a complaints procedure (except whatever the bank may have) to handle these situations. The DRC has taken assorted cases to court regarding this issue, but in at least one situation, they dropped the case when it was discovered the the EPA had not been registered.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Banks should have a complaints procedure for every eventuality - even a Travellers' Cheque order going wrong and not being remedied appropriately.....:rolleyes: In that sense, POAs and EPAs (registered or not) matter not in the UK - the likes of the British Bankers' Association and Banking Ombudsman are keenly interested in 'poor'- practice which can't be remedied and resolved at local level. Hopefully it won't come to that .....

I found the very mention of 'HO' to send my local bank branch scurrying for cover!!!!! :D

Talking with your feet is a good ploy - our loved ones who need POA/EPA recorded on their records (registered or not) are not much focus for the 'big boys' whose main aim is to 'sell' rather than to provide a service ... but the more connections the donor, their attorneys and families have with the institution and the more potential 'selling points' they are threatened to lose always goes down a storm!!!!! ;)

Take heart Dave ......

Love, Karen, x

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I don't disagree Karen - they should have a complaint procedure for every situation, it's just a lot easier to complain (and get quick resolution) when they have agreed in advance to follow a particular procedure which is the case when an EPA has been registered. In that case, they are particularly vulnerable to the suggestion that they are discriminating against the disabled, a protected class. Unfortunately since anyone can create a general power of attorney if you use an EPA in this manner, you're no more protected from general incompetance than you would be if you were any other bank user. If a bank decides that in order to use a general power of attorney you need to jump through hoops, they can set up their procedure that way, and provided that procedure is applied evenly, and is not in itself illegal, there's not a lot you can do about it, apart from, as you say, vote with your feet.

However, as I said, I can't access the Abbey website properly, so I can't check what they say about EPAs or POAs - they seem to have decided that if you're on a mac, you're not a customer they want.