P.O.A taken all my mum's money

daughterone

Jan 7, 2014
Hi,
My mum was diagnosed with dementia and my 2 brothers obtained P.O.A without informing me.
My mum was left very well off following my father's death. My brothers literally wrote me out of
the family the day my dad died,. To cut a long story short, my mum died last year. All tat she had left
was the family home. My brothers have taken all the money. Around £400,000 -£500,000. It appears
one of them opened a joint bank account with my mother so automatically the cash became his.
So, although it's most likely legal, morally it's wrong.

I have another sister with severe learning disabilities. 1 brother obtained financial deputyship for
her without informing me, even though I am nearest relative & listed as next of kin everywhere.
I have complained to OPG, social services, police but nobody will listen to me. They believe the lies that
I have not been involved in her life. She is and always has been my world.

I am now concerned that there is a joint bank account for her and all her money will be taken too.
I've tried to get legal help but have no money. There must be something I can do.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I thought I had trouble with my siblings but I don't think their quite like this. Is there anyway that you can warn her bank?

Hugs

MaNaAk

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@daughterone I am sure that you can report them if they have POA as they are responsible for their own behaviour and POA can be removed if they are taking advantage. It may be too late for your mums money but they can certainly be investigated if they are doing the same to your sister.

daughterone

Jan 7, 2014
OPG did investigate. I was spending my own money buying clothes for my sister but it seems lies win every time. They said he's doing nothing wrong. Sister is in a care home because brothers left her to die in a darkened room. Yes they got away with that too.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
If your mother died intestate shouldn’t her estate have been distributed as per a legal formula? If she left a will you should be able to see what it said. Of course they may have convinced her to make everything over to them!

daughterone

Jan 7, 2014
The only will she could have is if they did a statutory will, she was not able to make one herself. If there was any kind of will they would be bragging about it, would have got probate & sold the house. But house sits empty. 1 brother vanished in January, he's the one in control of my sister's finances. I'm going to try the police again.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I think that's a good idea. There is an online form that you can fill in to find out if there is a will for your mum and even your dad. I did it for my mum but I forgot the address. I was advised to do this before dad's diagnosis but it could be through gov. UK.

MaNaAk

theunknown

Apr 17, 2015
As Banjomansmate said, if your mum died intestate there's a legal process to follow, and would surely mean your mum's (four?) offspring, including your sister would inherit equally. If there was a will, once the original is retrieved it has to be sent off to the appropriate authority in order for probate to proceed. Once probate happens all wills in this country are public property, lodged at the Principal Probate Registry. Anyone is allowed to access the register. You need to find out whether there is a will of some sort and, if there isn't, consult a solicitor, because it seems to me in that case due process when someone dies intestate hasn't been followed.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Probatesearch.service.gov.uk
Search this site on the internet.
It's free and shows when probate has been issued with or without a will.
Good luck
Susan

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976