Overwhelmed by Kindness of Strangers This Week

Seaholly

Oct 12, 2020
I just wanted to share this.
Mum is in the later stages of Alzheimers and is struggling so much. She often feels lonely, confused, isolated and misunderstood and physically she is barely strong enough to stand.

As a child, she remembers a group of Romany gypsies that used to set up on her grandfather's land every year for a few weeks. They are really happy memories for her, as the Romany family would always thank Mum's family by sharing a meal with them.

I contacted a Gypsy and Traveller Heritage Group to see if I could get sight of any archives or memories that would help Mum and I have been so humbled and overwhelmed by the outpouring of kind words and photos and shared memories. Mum has been sent a poem full of Romany words and a translation, people have posted old photos and Mum and I have received so many messages - just saying what an awful disease Alzheimer's is and wishing us all the best, sending prayers and kind thoughts and tips and hints from looking after their own family members with dementia.

The genuine kindness and empathy of good people goes a long way in fighting this cruel disease. Love to all who might be reading this who are Gypsies or Travellers - you have done yourselves proud X

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
Traveller and gypsies are subject to horrendous prejudice, this just shows that there are good and bad people in every community. I like to think mostly good.