Overiding pateint confidentiality

Phloxfairy

Apr 30, 2013
My hb was Dx with FTD 3yrs ( MRI scan confirmed left and anterior frontal lobe degeneration)ago and there has been a decline in his language , both spoken and receptive. His personality as a husband and father has long gone. His reasoning and rationale are 'twisted'. ( executive function problems). All typical of the effects of FTD. Professionals state he does have "capacity". Husband has invoked 'patient confidentiality' so no-one will/can communicate with me. I feel that professionals are hiding behind "confidentiality". They have seen a snapshot of my hb and have no idea who he was. I have been married for 34yrs and have a 12yr girl still at home. Hb hides out in his room all day and does not communicate with us.

My question is-when does patient confidentiality end? Can it be overridden?
As hb has semantic variant and is likely to become mute as well as losing his ability to understand words( thats where we are at at the moment e.g doesnt understand a lot of words or conversation)he will reach the point where he cant make the statement to reverse patient confidentiality). The reason he invoked patient confidentiality was because he didnt want me telling professioanls about decline in speech and behaviours, and ......lack of insight... Asonognosia re: condition.

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
My hb was Dx with FTD 3yrs ( MRI scan confirmed left and anterior frontal lobe degeneration)ago and there has been a decline in his language , both spoken and receptive. His personality as a husband and father has long gone. His reasoning and rationale are 'twisted'. ( executive function problems). All typical of the effects of FTD. Professionals state he does have "capacity". Husband has invoked 'patient confidentiality' so no-one will/can communicate with me. I feel that professionals are hiding behind "confidentiality". They have seen a snapshot of my hb and have no idea who he was. I have been married for 34yrs and have a 12yr girl still at home. Hb hides out in his room all day and does not communicate with us.

My question is-when does patient confidentiality end? Can it be overridden?
As hb has semantic variant and is likely to become mute as well as losing his ability to understand words( thats where we are at at the moment e.g doesnt understand a lot of words or conversation)he will reach the point where he cant make the statement to reverse patient confidentiality). The reason he invoked patient confidentiality was because he didnt want me telling professioanls about decline in speech and behaviours, and ......lack of insight... Asonognosia re: condition.

I don't really know the answer to your question.
I really think officials use patient confidentiality to hide behind if they do not want you in a meeting about a friends relative even if it is clear the patient lacks capacity. Social workers have tried to say I am not allowed in due to patient confidentiality but they know what I generally say does not suit the LA.
After some argument I am grudgingly allowed in.

William

William

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
I reckon, if possible, the best course for you is to seek legal help/advice. (Possibly Citizen's Advice Bureau?) I can't see any other way around this one. What a minefield. So sorry for you, Phloxfairy.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Phloxfairy- I'm sorry that you have this problem to deal with on top of everything else. I've always been lucky that the professionals involved in my OH's care have always consulted with me-but then Pete never told them otherwise. The fact that your Husband has told them not to is a difficult situation to overcome. I suppose that until he is deemed to have lost capacity his decision will remain in force.

One thing you could do is to write to those who need to know and give examples of your Husband's difficulties.At least then they will have up to date info.

Good luck

Lyn T