Overfilled kettle, water everywhere.

Suzy H

Mar 12, 2021
My Dad keeps filling the (jug-style) kettle right to the brim which is way above the maximum line. When it boils, water goes everywhere but he doesn't notice. I have marked the outside not to go above the line but it makes no difference. Water was all over the worktop and dripping onto the floor when I went to see him this morning. Any ideas please? He doesn't seem to notice reminder stickers.

Old Flopsy

Sep 12, 2019
I wonder if another style of kettle would be better- a more old fashioned type? Just a thought. It is exasperating but I doubt if you can convince him that what he does is wrong. My OH regularly filled the kettle up and I have to keep pouring some out but he doesn't remember not to do it, so I understand.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
we have an old -fashioned shaped kettle and my husband has been filling it up too much as well. i usually have to tip some out. i said youve filled the kettle up too far and all he says is have i? doesnt seem to register. its obviously easier if you live with the person but not quite sure how you stop someone if they live alone. maybe there is some gadget that works.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Suzy H.

This information sheet mentions a kettle tipper.

I’d not heard of them and I don‘t know if they would be of any help but here’s a link to one just in case.

I’m glad you’ve found the forum. You’ll get lots of help and support here.

Lemondrizzle

Aug 26, 2018
We ended up having to hide my MIL's kettle in the end as she was boiling it with tea bags in and over filling it. It was just too dangerous in the end unfortunately. Strangely though we did go through a period of time when she was able to follow the marks we made on the outside.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Suzy H welcome from me too. Try a smaller kettle such as a travel kettle, or you can also get 'compact' kettles too. The advantage of a smaller capacity kettle is that there is less water to go everywhere and if you dad lives alone a smaller kettle will be fine for his needs. As an experiment I have just filled my travel kettle right up to the brim and no water came out at all when it was boiling!

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I don't really have a solution for this, just a word of empathy. My wife used to fill the kettle to the brim, get impatient waiting for it to boil then make semi-cold drinks. Once she put milk in the kettle then, on another day, finally finished it off by putting it on the gas ring. That was all with me in the house 24/7 so it must be harder when you are caring for someone who lives separately. Some good suggestions above.

Suzy H

Mar 12, 2021
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and welcome. Nice to know there are others coping with similar problems and far worse.

Wombling Plodder

May 18, 2021
I am also looking for ideas as my mum has started overfilling the kettle. The water has been going into the base unit which has tripped the house electrics on several occasions. We are going to try a bright tape line below the max line to see if that works (fingers crossed).

AwayWithTheFairies

Apr 21, 2021
Funnily enough, here in US electric kettles are a rarity and people use one on the stove usually with an annoying whistle. That said after the whistle broke then mum forgot it and went out (luckily it only set off the smoke alarm) I encouraged her to seek out an electric one and it has been very successful! Most people don’t brew hot tea as they call it, and instead use a coffee machine.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I guess these would be available in most places but you can buy a hot water dispenser. They hold about 3.5 litres of water which after you have boiled it, stays really hot for hours, enough for 24 cups of tea or coffee. It has a a lever that you depress to get the water. Your dad might be able to adjust or might not but it's worth a Google.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Initially we swapped to an older type kettle as Mum would try and use the base as the lid. However after a while we had the same problem of overfilling, tea bags and milk being put in the kettle. I am afraid we did not really find a solution but by that time the Carers were going in and they would make her a drink on arrival and another when they left. I hope you find something that works for you

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
This site from Alzheimer's Scotland has a couple of kettles that might help solve the problem as well as various other devices that could be of use in the home.

Pots and Pans

Jan 13, 2020
If you are there in the morning maybe make a Thermos flask full of tea and then hide the kettle... ' oh, it's not working!' All made or if your mum can pour out tea and then add her milk and sugar, she is still making her own tea if that feels important. Would she be safe with pouring out from a flask?

Laughed at comment above re tea bags in kettle though... had this myself with OH last week. As well as the hot water into the coffee jar instead of mug and the sugar bowl emptied into the sink!