Over feeding the cat

sarahp

Feb 23, 2013
Hi arty,

I can soooooo sympathise with this one.

My Mum has a big obsession with her cat it rules our life, she lives for it, not only does she over feed it, but luckily it doesn't eat it, it has the opposite effect because she puts about 8 bowls out for it, and it goes off quickly, in this heat especially. The cat looks at it, thinks i aint eating that and cries for fresh stuff. I've tried hiding it but then I caught mum feeding it mayonnaise, breakfast cereal etc on the bedroom floor!

I've even had to have my stairs storage cupboard turned into a cat house with a cat flap so my dogs don't get over fed with it haha!

Then there is the constant inconsoalable crying because it has gone out (it goes out to get some peace from being totally mithered). even when its in sometimes she cries just because she loves it so much! i feel a little jealous of this unconditional love ;) i am up at this time of night because she won't go to bed without it, I can't go out shouting it or think the neighbours will have me certified, I already feel a little silly, constantly going out calling it in normal hours :))

When it comes in she picks it straight up and jumps up and down with this great relief like its been gone for weeks, takes it into the bedroom and locks it in, pins it to the bed so it either scratches her or wets the bed!!!! I had to change the bed last night not because mum had an accident but the cat!!!! It looks at me with pleading eyes as if to say help me. I can't rehome it, because it would see her off. I just have to put up with 8 - 24 hours, 7 days a week of reiterating the fact the cat is fine, he is just gone out, with my cats, she thinks I'm insane because I say its gone out! Gone out???? Don't be stupid!! Someone has taken him. The main reason she had to leave her home was because the neighbours where sick of being threatened with legal action and shouted at at 3 am, because she thinks they have stolen the cat!!! I would find half written notes to the neighbours saying the police or solicitors are going to be involved!! I'm sure I will laugh one day!

The other night I was at my wits end because mum had been crying at me all day, pleading with me to find the cat, it didn't come in all day, so I'd had it constantly, mum fell asleep, the cat comes through the cat flap, I woke her up to say look he's here you don't need to worry, she said what are you talking about, I know he's here, he lives here!!!!!!!!! My OH found it extremely amusing!

Even when we are out, we must get back for the cat or I need to go to pets at home urgently we don't have any cat food!!! Yes we doooooo! Enough to sink a ship!

I asked her who would you save first in a fire me or the cat, she replied the cat without hesitation ended with, of course! looked at me if I was daft. Lets see if he will do your washing, cooking, cleaning and well you know the rest of the list. Hehe!

You are in an impossible situation really, caught between being an animal lover and wanting their best interests and that of your mums.

Sorry as I've Said before I just can't keep it short and sweet :)))) xxxx

nerak

Account Closed
Jul 4, 2013
ireland
I love my cat but have to worry when Im not here I feel better when hes out and so have alot of stress when its raining and hes here alone with her?

She likes him but moans about him being spoilt and I care more for him than her(maybe I do some days!!!!)

I love my cat and he keeps me saine BUT had I had know my mum had this illness would never have taken him.

He just a helpless little animal and shes deaf and cant hear his cries for food etc..

BUT I could never give him up hes so attached to me and me to him he has been a comfort to me>

He slept in my bed last night tapped me on the face gently this morning at 6am to get out hes the only positive thing to get up to!!:D

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
That is my cat's twin

Mine was as fat as that, if not fatter ...it was starved as a kitten so now would eat almost anything... we had it as a rescue cat. It is on a diet now ..and a starve day. It has a chart and now only gets fed the appropriate amount.

Good idea about fake food. What about getting real cat biscuits and covering them with varnish or silicone in a bowl so it couldn't eat them and installing a feeder as others have suggested.

How old is it. When ours conks out I think I will have to replace it because my Dad who has moved in does like it.

Dill

Feb 26, 2011
England
Hi
Just had to say - please don't feed silicone or varnish covered cat food to a cat, it may attempt to eat them and could make the cat ill.

Dill

artyfarty

Oct 30, 2009
London
Sarahp - you made me chuckle when you said your mum thought the cat had been stolen - my mum also accused me of the same thing. I just kept thinking about how I would have concealed it about my person - definitely won't fit in my handbag that's for sure!

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Sarahp - you made me chuckle when you said your mum thought the cat had been stolen - my mum also accused me of the same thing. I just kept thinking about how I would have concealed it about my person - definitely won't fit in my handbag that's for sure!

There is nothing us carers wont steal so far we've had toe nail clippers, millions in cash between us, and now you are the mad cat in the bag woman.

nerak

Account Closed
Jul 4, 2013
ireland
Just a thought? there is a new product that protects plants and harmless to animals they said it was mainly GARLIC try putting garlic powder around the food might work???????????

Poor cat hes so loved but this is not good hes a fatty!!

we have a neighbours cat that comes into my garden hes a show! HUGE! i called him a few weeks ago and as he had a collar I tied a note "please stop feeding this cat so much its abuse or ill report you"

Saw him the other day and hes looking a tad slimmer!! :D

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Just a thought? there is a new product that protects plants and harmless to animals they said it was mainly GARLIC try putting garlic powder around the food might work???????????

Poor cat hes so loved but this is not good hes a fatty!!

we have a neighbours cat that comes into my garden hes a show! HUGE! i called him a few weeks ago and as he had a collar I tied a note "please stop feeding this cat so much its abuse or ill report you"

Saw him the other day and hes looking a tad slimmer!! :D

There is a plant called Pee Off there is a fancy name for it but I am not clever enough to remember that one. The garden centres know it.

Cats hate it, if you put the plant near the food when you are out it my keep the furry greedy guts away from it. Might not but worth a go.

sarahp

Feb 23, 2013
Haha arty I know, she keeps getting my OH to one side and telling him I'm nuts and I've thrown the cat out! I've sent him packing with his suitcase ;))

artyfarty

Oct 30, 2009
London
The garlic powder is a thought but the cat bowl wanders about - not on its own you understand! My mum started off with it in the kitchen, then it moved to the back door, then a bit closer to the back door, then outside the back door. Currently it's doing circuits of the garden. She never puts in the same place twice. The cat does actually have to work to find its food - but not too hard as the garden is not that big. Not sure why she is feeding it outside - cant be persuaded to bring it indoors - even when she found some slugs having a party in it.

Sarahp - glad you didn't send your OH packing - seems a bit harsh!

nerak

Account Closed
Jul 4, 2013
ireland
Just check with the pet shops this is a new product you could spray the bowls with it!!

Might just be "pee off"??:)

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
seems a might unfair the poor cats food sprinkled with pepper etc when the problem is the food giving/giver....I

artyfarty

Oct 30, 2009
London
Hi all - thought I'd let you know how we got on at the vets today. Poor cat weighs 6.4 kg - she should weigh about 4kg so considerably overweight. The vet was actually rather good at colluding with me to convince my mum that I need to feed her from now on. We've got some expensive diet food for her which we've told my mum has to be very accurately weighed out so best if she leaves it to me or my daughter to do. Have put signs up all over the house to remind her so we'll see how we get on.

Hoping it does the trick as the cat is such a scaredy-cat I thought she might drop dead from fear before we got there. Wouldn't want to put her through that again!

Dill

Feb 26, 2011
England
A scaredy- cat, aw bless - well done for getting him/her into the surgery!
Hope diet goes ok - maybe puss could join the TP slimming thread! ;)
Let us know how things go, hopefully your Mum will accept the new routine.
Dill