Over feeding the cat

artyfarty

Oct 30, 2009
London
Hi all

Wondered if anyone might have a solution to this. My mums cat is almost at bursting point as my mother is repeatedly feeding her through the day. The cat unfortunately is pretty greedy and eats anything put in front of her!

I've tried measuring out a days food and putting it in labelled boxes but mum couldn't cope with that. She won't let me take over the feeding of the cat and I am out at work so can't supervise all the time anyway. I also tried hiding the cat food but she just went and bought more.

I have at least got her diet food but the poor cat is now so fat she has broken the cat flap and all the hair is being rubbed off her saggy tummy every time she goes through the hole that's left.

I have thought of taking the cat to the vets and taking my mum along so they can give her a talking to (my mum not the cat!) My mum hates to be confronted with anything that reminds her of her dementia though and I know she will find it upsetting. Do you think that I ought to do this anyway for the sake of the poor cat? Or if you have any other ideas I'd love to hear them! ImageUploadedByTalking Point1374573139.817816.jpg

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I think you have tried everything. It's unusual to have a greedy cat but unfortunately for you, you've got one. I can leave the biscuits down all day for mine and they'll eat when they are hungry. I've got one though who would sell his soul for sliced ham.

Is there anywhere you can put the cat food, on a shelf under the stairs (grasping at straws here) so Mum isn't seeing the cat's food bowl so often?

Last edited:

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
sorry but this is cat cruelty...the cat needs to go to the vet firstly and probably be removed from your mum and re homed if you can't stop this any other way.

Pennie

Jun 16, 2013
Somerset
I have to agree with meme I fear, and so would my daughter (vet nurse) we had an overweight cat but have managed to reduce her weight by regimented amounts of biscuits only, no wet food any more.

There is every chance an overweight cat or dog for that matter, will end up with diabetes and that is a whole different ball game - daily treatment and expensive, unless you have insurance, but still not really very fair on the poor cat! :(

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
Oh dear Yes. We have had to seal the fishtank to prevent my husband putting food in. We have also written huge signs on it in red saying : DO NOT FEED That has worked. However, the dog is another matter. My husband cannot be left with the dog for longer than we can leave the dog. Even then - it is anxious-making.

Dementia and animals do not mix. I think the cat should disappear before worse happens.

artyfarty

Oct 30, 2009
London
The cat is such a comfort to her though - she's had it 13 years. Don't think I could bear to re-home it. It would be miserable as well without her.

Time has come to take some action though. I'm off to the vets to see if they can speak to her and convince her to let me take over its care. She always thinks I'm interfering and talking rubbish. Perhaps if a professional confirms what I am saying she might be convinced. It that doesn't work I will have to think again.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
The cat is such a comfort to her though - she's had it 13 years. Don't think I could bear to re-home it. It would be miserable as well without her.

Time has come to take some action though. I'm off to the vets to see if they can speak to her and convince her to let me take over its care. She always thinks I'm interfering and talking rubbish. Perhaps if a professional confirms what I am saying she might be convinced. It that doesn't work I will have to think again.

I am fearful that if she goes to the RSPCA she'll be difficult to re-home as she's so old and be put down. A friend of mine used to volunteer for them and as much good work as they do, I'd have to work out if it's best for the cat with the risk involved.

Can you hide the food AND remove Mum's ability to buy more (hide her money when you are out).

I know of a place that won't put healthy dogs down but haven't heard of the same for cats IF it comes to that. It might be worth researching now and finding out what the waiting list times are like.

JMU

Feb 17, 2012
Cornwall
This was a problem I had with dad. He was constantly worried that the cats needed feeding- every time they meowed he thought it was because they were hungry. I would put a bowl down for them in the morning full of food, but even when I pointed it out to dad he seemed unable to see it. And he was constantly going out buying food (sometimes dog food:)) to give them. Fortunately the pet shop is very close to home, and the manager knew what was going on and at least partially managed to deflect him. But not always.
Then things got worse. He started to hate it when the cats came to him for affection, convinced they were going to claw his eyes out. Now our two are both elderly and very loving, and it was painful to see the way he pushed them and shouted at them when they went to see him for a cuddle. Then Dad became so worried about his inability to care for them that he started trying to give them away to strangers in the street! This is what has led, in fact, to my current situation. If that had happened I would never have forgiven him.
-It's okay to say the cat gives her comfort, but there was a time when I would have said dad would have sold his soul rather than harm one of ours.

artyfarty

Oct 30, 2009
London
Hadn't thought of that. I am hopin the vet will want to help rather than cause problems.

Just had a thought. Might just try telling my mum that I have taken the cat to the vet and that I must feed her from now on.

With the money, I usually make sure she has a tenner on her as she panics if there is no food in the house (there's always food of course but convinces herself there isn't).

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Hadn't thought of that. I am hopin the vet will want to help rather than cause problems.

Just had a thought. Might just try telling my mum that I have taken the cat to the vet and that I must feed her from now on.

With the money, I usually make sure she has a tenner on her as she panics if there is no food in the house (there's always food of course but convinces herself there isn't).

Some of the rehoming places might put her down I would hope the vet would want to charge you as much as possible for as long as possible.... Those places cost a fortune.

I've checked the Cats Protection League and there's no bad news about them that I could find the RSPCA though is a different matter.

If all else fails you may have to think about not leaving her any money. It is very difficult to balance the needs of our loved ones and those around them including their pets.

Dill

Feb 26, 2011
England
Hi
I'm a veterinary nurse and have seen lots of overweight cats and I agree it can lead to medical issues.
This is a difficult one though, your Mum is fond of the cat and removing it might cause her distress.
You are doing the best thing, ask at your vets they might have a weight watcher clinic for cats and dogs where you go weekly to weigh the cat with a nurse. If your Mum went weekly it might sink in.
There are also good obesity diets for cats, the vets will advise on that.
Alternatively you can buy automatic cat feeders that release enough food for one meal, don't know how your Mum would take to that. Have a look on A....n.
At the end of the day if the cat is suffering you might have no alternative but to re-home, maybe the Cats Protection League could help.
A difficult one for you, I wish you all the best.
Dill

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
could you tell mum cat is unwell and vet has put on a special diet supervised/controlled by you...? action is needed whatever you decide..it's not really about Mum as far as the cat is concerned.

artyfarty

Oct 30, 2009
London
Thanks all.

Having read your post Dill and the action plan you posted Noorza, I think it would be best to take her to the vets and get my mum to come along as well.

She is very fond of the cat, but in this instance the cat has to come first and I will just have to try and manage the fall out as best I can.

Fed Up

Aug 4, 2012
"I've got one though who would sell his soul for sliced ham." Ours likes cheese !! and ice cream but is very active and slender. Eats the odd butterfly and moth but yesterday had a stag beetle as a trophy!

I'm sorry both for the cat and your mum and don't think the vet will be able to get the message through as memory loss etc does mean not much alters behaviour. I'm probably going to sound odd but I have a cat and love it to bits but for your mum a cat at 13 how long does it have left anyway. I'd be more worried about when it finally pass on and she will distraught. Could a companion to it help, so it has to compete for food or will mum put down twice as much? I don't know how old your mum is but it could be a bad idea yet another problem or a good one as she clearly loves animals.

Its really hard, cruel to withhold food especially if its that big, and cruel to feed as only a matter of time before it has a heart attack etc. Only wish I could help more please give the sweetie a stroke for me its a pretty cat whatever its weight.

Wildflower

Apr 6, 2013
Brighton
This sounds a bit silly, but could you possibly provide some sort of fake cat food that you know the cat would definitely not touch, but which your mother would believe was genuine cat food? She could then 'feed' the cat to her heart's content. Just a thought.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Hi
I'm a veterinary nurse and have seen lots of overweight cats and I agree it can lead to medical issues.
This is a difficult one though, your Mum is fond of the cat and removing it might cause her distress.
You are doing the best thing, ask at your vets they might have a weight watcher clinic for cats and dogs where you go weekly to weigh the cat with a nurse. If your Mum went weekly it might sink in.
There are also good obesity diets for cats, the vets will advise on that.
Alternatively you can buy automatic cat feeders that release enough food for one meal, don't know how your Mum would take to that. Have a look on A....n.
At the end of the day if the cat is suffering you might have no alternative but to re-home, maybe the Cats Protection League could help.
A difficult one for you, I wish you all the best.
Dill

Automatic cat feeders, I just love that suggestion. Mum would stop worrying and cat might actually lose some weight.

Now if I could have an automatic Noorza feeder the world would be grand.:D

artyfarty

Oct 30, 2009
London
Not sure about the automatic cat feeder - I got mum one of those 'tamper proof' tablet dispensers which plays an alarm and that days tablets pop out. It took her three days of hard graft but she managed to rip the battery compartment off. I came home to find her sitting on the floor with the pieces between her legs - exactly like a child would tackle it.

I've been up to the vets this afternoon and had a chat with the receptionist there and they seemed sympathetic so we have an appointment on Saturday. I'll let you know how we get on!

nerak

Account Closed
Jul 4, 2013
ireland
yes cat feeders would be good but I dont think your mum would understand would she??

My cat is psychic he knows my mums not right and always refuses to eat when she feeds him?

Lucky me!

So sad your poor mum and you what a decision? Just worry your mum may break cat feeder or not understand it?

Let us know this is heartbreaking the only thing that keeps me going is my cat!!:(