1. Reds

Reds Registered User

Sep 5, 2011
    Hertfordshire
    My OH has Alzheimer's. He gets over excited about things, such as cheers lots even if given a biscuit. Any ideas of how to help him to be calmer would be good please.

Reds

2. Bunpoots

Bunpoots Volunteer Host

Apr 1, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    I think it’s called “emotional lability” @Reds. My dad used to get very giggly at times...I suppose it’s better than crying although it could be embarrassing!
    Sorry, I have no idea how to stop it.

3. BryanG2001

BryanG2001 Registered User

Mar 2, 2014
    Too depressed or too happy are just flip sides of the same coin and to do with mental ill health. If it really bothers you keep a record and go and speak to his Doctor about antidepressants. At some point the coin may flip, I think you will find crying and depression far more upsetting and be longing for your over enthusiastic Dad.

4. Rob_E

Rob_E Registered User

Feb 1, 2015
    Male
    Liverpool
    Mum is like this, laughs at things all the time that no one else finds funny. We just smile these days rather than trying to make sense of it and are just thankful that she is not miserable. She always did have a tendency to giggle, even before dementia.

5. Rob_E

Rob_E Registered User

Feb 1, 2015
    Male
    Liverpool
    I don't want to appear to have been trivialising this issue as I know it is yet another of the many frustrations that come with this disease.