Outside visits to care homes

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
I am just wondering about people’s experiences of wearing a face mask for an outside visit. I had one outside visit where I had to where a face mask socially distanced and it was an unmitigated disaster. My husband just walked straight past me as he was brought out of the building even though I was saying his name. The member of staff couldn’t get him to turn round and he was getting angry with her so he had to be taken back inside again. I asked if I could try a window visit immediately after this and without my mask he recognised me no problem.
I asked if I could wear a face visor for an outside visit so as he would recognise me, this was met with a resounding no as we would be breathing the same air.
Has anyone any experience of wearing a visor instead of a mask and what the difference was in the success of the visit?
I know some homes are happy for a visor to be used outdoors socially distanced.
Thanks

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
According to medical advice, visors alone are not sufficient as the aerosols you breathe out are propelled out of the gap at the bottom. They should be worn with a mask.

My mums care home would not accept them either.

JGDMG

May 5, 2020
What a shame! I visit outdoors and wear a mask and it makes it difficult for mother who lip reads a lot, but we manage. Outside seems to be considered much safer than indoors, but I can see how a visor maybe doesn't restrict the droplets in the way a mask does. If you can comfortably manage through a window that might be best. I wonder if anyone is making see through face masks. That might be something to consider. Care homes generally seem to be (for obvious reasons) so anxious and rule bound about it all. Visits and contact though are so important, especially where dementia is involved.

Kellyr

Aug 8, 2020
I am just wondering about people’s experiences of wearing a face mask for an outside visit. I had one outside visit where I had to where a face mask socially distanced and it was an unmitigated disaster. My husband just walked straight past me as he was brought out of the building even though I was saying his name. The member of staff couldn’t get him to turn round and he was getting angry with her so he had to be taken back inside again. I asked if I could try a window visit immediately after this and without my mask he recognised me no problem.
I asked if I could wear a face visor for an outside visit so as he would recognise me, this was met with a resounding no as we would be breathing the same air.
Has anyone any experience of wearing a visor instead of a mask and what the difference was in the success of the visit?
I know some homes are happy for a visor to be used outdoors socially distanced.
Thanks
Hi Ive been doing visits wearing a sheild/visor and its been great. I think wearing a mask would be a complete disaster and these new rules were never meant for outdoor visits but the carehomes have interpreted them that way. (Im actually living in dread of the manager finding out what Im doing and vetoing it! ) Theres no scientific reason why you shouldnt wear one if youre outside and socially distanced - you could even offer to sit abit further away. The guidelines say that if someone has dementia, the home should take this into account and make allowances around things like mask wearing but unfortunately most homes are choosing to ignore this.. You could always try showing them the relevant guidance... good luck

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
Hi Ive been doing visits wearing a sheild/visor and its been great. I think wearing a mask would be a complete disaster and these new rules were never meant for outdoor visits but the carehomes have interpreted them that way. (Im actually living in dread of the manager finding out what Im doing and vetoing it! ) Theres no scientific reason why you shouldnt wear one if youre outside and socially distanced - you could even offer to sit abit further away. The guidelines say that if someone has dementia, the home should take this into account and make allowances around things like mask wearing but unfortunately most homes are choosing to ignore this.. You could always try showing them the relevant guidance... good luck
@Kellyr it seems to be so different how each home is applying the guidelines which is frustrating. I have e mailed listing the relevant guidance twice. They have totally ignored my e mails not even an acknowledgement and the manager seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth! There to be another meeting on teams with the Chess team, social Worker his key worker at the home (who just says no to every suggestion) and myself. I’m hoping that this time something might change as I did an outside visit with the OT from the Chess team observing, but I won’t hold my breath.

Bella6

Jul 25, 2020
... I wonder if anyone is making see through face masks. That might be something to consider. Care homes generally seem to be (for obvious reasons) so anxious and rule bound about it all. Visits and contact though are so important, especially where dementia is involved.

I've bought hand-made see-through face masks on Etsy (there are lots of different independent makers/sellers there). My husband wasn't sure if he liked it though, as he's got used to seeing people wearing the blue paper masks around him. The weekly visits are difficult but it gets him out into the garden for 30 minutes, which is the only time he gets out of the building.

Kellyr

Aug 8, 2020
@Kellyr it seems to be so different how each home is applying the guidelines which is frustrating. I have e mailed listing the relevant guidance twice. They have totally ignored my e mails not even an acknowledgement and the manager seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth! There to be another meeting on teams with the Chess team, social Worker his key worker at the home (who just says no to every suggestion) and myself. I’m hoping that this time something might change as I did an outside visit with the OT from the Chess team observing, but I won’t hold my breath.
Let us know how you get on...stay strong!