Out of the mouths............

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
This morning on waking, I opened the curtains and said, ` It`s a beautiful day.` My husband said, `If I died, who would you say it to.`

He then asked `When I die, how will you cope?`

It made me wonder if others have anything to share in this vein.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I haven't had that experience yet. It must have been so upsetting for you.

But on the positive side, he's thinking of you now, and maybe deciding suicide isn't a good idea after all? That must be good news.

Love,

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Dear Sylvia,

I don't have anything to share, I just wanted to say I am thinking of you. He must be extremely depressed as must you.

Love

Jennifer

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Hi Sylvia,

I remember my Granny, a born worrier, saying to my Grandpa : 'Oh Ted, what will you do if anything happens to me?'. My Grandpa (a man of few words) merely said 'I've got me plans ;) '. Not the reply she was expecting!

In fact she did die first and my Grandpa came to live with us. My Granny had had dementia but my Grandpa had covered up for her for who knows how long. When she died he was a lost soul. They had been together for so long - they married after my Grandpa came back from the First World War and my Granny died on their 60th Wedding Anniversary :( . My Grandpa died about a year later, mainly of a broken heart.

My godfather was asked a similar question by his wife along the lines of 'What do you think you'll do if I die?' 'Well' he replied 'I'll go and see my cousin that you don't like in Canada, I've always fancied going to such and such a place.....' After about half an hour of him telling her what he was going to do she came to the conclusion that he couldn't wait for her to pop off! That was some years ago and she is still around cramping his style. :D

I know none of the above helps. My Dad often talks about his death. This varies from 'Two weeks?? I'll be dead by then!' through 'You all just want me to die' to 'I'm not ready to die yet you know!'. This last comment being made halfway through a 3 mile walk having just scrambled down a steep bank.:eek:

Sue

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
How similar our husbands seems to be!! Yes David often wants to talk about how I will cope. Will I have enough money, what will I do with the house. When he is on the subject we go through it time and time again.

He also frequenetly says 'how do people manage without a Jan'. When I mention that carers can come in he 'goes deaf'.

Underneath it all I know how much he still loves and cares for me ialthough on a daily basis it is not always so noticeable.

Sorry we have to go through all this but at least we are sharing some of the agony with others. Take care Beckyjan

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks BeckyJan.

What I found so upsetting, but at the same time heartening, is he still feels he`s contributing. The concern he feels is inherent, he has always been a worrier, and his greatest fear, that of something happening to me, he is transferring. So however ill he is, he is still able to put himself in my shoes.

It`s comforting to know we are not alone in this.

With love

cynron

Sep 26, 2005
east sussex
When i said one day to my husband what would you do without me?

He replied I dont even want to try.

This was when he could still communicate.

Cynron x x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Cynthia, it`s replies like that, that help see us through. Thank you for sharing.

With love

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
My father used to pray every day for my mother's health, he knew he couldn't manage without her.