Our GP

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I have mentioned before in other posts about how helpful my GP has been over many years, in general health care and particularly in caring for my husband through all his numerous health issues.

This evening I had an appointment with him to get my flu jab, some prescriptions and to get a little advice about a minor health matter. He was running late as usual but he still found the time to chat a little while dealing with my needs.

One of the topics of our conversation was of his recent trip abroad for the marriage of his daughter so like any proud dad, he showed me some of the wedding photos! And we talked about a trip I did to Borneo many years ago.

Like all GPs he is a very busy man but he treats me like a human being not just a medical condition and I am so grateful that we have him to support us. I know that not so many of us have been so lucky.

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
You are really lucky, @Lawson58 .
OH's family doctor only writes prescriptions and seldom visits his patients...unless they are going to die .
When I noticed OH's first symptoms of dementia I had to ask him for a visit at the memory clinic, because he had not realized that there was something wrong with him.
Some months later , he refused to prescribe a PET scan because " it is useless and too expensive for the NHS".

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@Lawson58 I am glad that I can say the same about dad's doctor. He's really lovely and has done home visits for dad whenever necessary. I am so glad we have got him.

The receptionists are great too and will always talk to me about dad.

Wish I could say the same about my surgery but I can't. It's a walk in centre nowadays and very difficult to get an appointment. The doctors are always changing and I am not even sure who my GP is. I rarely go anyway.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
@Lawson58 I am glad that I can say the same about dad's doctor. He's really lovely and has done home visits for dad whenever necessary. I am so glad we have got him.

The receptionists are great too and will always talk to me about dad.

Wish I could say the same about my surgery but I can't. It's a walk in centre nowadays and very difficult to get an appointment. The doctors are always changing and I am not even sure who my GP is. I rarely go anyway.
And I would add the same comment about the receptionists and the nurses. Some of the staff have been there for ages which says a lot about the practice in general. But it's nice to be called by our first names and if I phone they always are helpful.

We have a few walk in clinics in our area and I think I would have to be a bit desperate to go to one. When my GP is away on holiday, I see one of the other practioners and I don't have a problem with any of them.

Apart from the medical side, they have dietitian, podiatry, physiotherapist, pathology services as well as small gym so we have an excellent service.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
You are really lucky, @Lawson58 .
OH's family doctor only writes prescriptions and seldom visits his patients...unless they are going to die .
When I noticed OH's first symptoms of dementia I had to ask him for a visit at the memory clinic, because he had not realized that there was something wrong with him.
Some months later , he refused to prescribe a PET scan because " it is useless and too expensive for the NHS".
I know I am lucky, Margherta. This GP worked with me to get my husband to agree to be tested, has managed his heart issues and AD and supported me through depression. The universe was smiling at us the day we became his patients.