Our demntia choir Vicky McClure

Discussion in 'Dementia-related news and campaigns' started by jane0600, May 1, 2019.

1. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    :)

2. AliceA

AliceA Registered User

May 27, 2016
    None of these programmes never do or can cover the 'whole' picture. That is not the aim, people would turn off. We face a complex situation with many varients.
    This publicity gives hope because the subject is being aired, some people will learn, more will understand.
    I remember pre NHS when cancer was never mentioned or understood, then it was called the big C as if using the name would bring it closer to home.
    I feel we are in a similar place now, we need more openness to get the research and funding.
    Because social care has not been seen as a priority there is no policy just a vague promise of a green paper once again.
    There now is a call for a Dementia Fund.
    My heart really went out to the brave young people, yes it was sad and upsetting but people need to start feeling upset to put pressure on for what is needed to help us care. It was also full of smiles and kindness.
    We do not have a Choir within reach but ir has encouraged me to play more music, and watch old musicals.

3. Rob_E

Rob_E Registered User

Feb 1, 2015
    Male
    Liverpool
    I've not watched it yet but I do plan to when I feel the time is right, especially as I am just recovering from a period of anxiety myself. I'm always slightly apprehensive about watching this type of program but still feel I need to and want to. It's been such a long Journey with mum, the first signs appeared in her late 40s-early 50s, albeit very subtly at first. She's now 72 and probably in the mid stages. I think that the makers of these programs have a difficult job in striking the right balance between representing some of the reality but without doing so in such a way that will mean that people lose interest or find it so horrific that they turn off.