Other than the CQC...

southlucia

Dec 19, 2011
... who should I be reporting a second case of medical neglect to?

I have made a complaint to the NH’s HO.

I found my dad in a distressed state for the 2nd time in 5 months, due to infection. It was clear (to me) that he was in pain on both occasions, but the staff and manager dismissed my concerns. I had to keep insisting.
This time my poor dad was left suffering in pain from a UTI for at least 6 days. It might have been longer because I hadn’t visited for a week before this, due to having flu.
His general lack of care is also poor again (I’ve been battling with this on and off for 2 years). Nails dirty and not cut often enough; food stains on slippers and clothes; generally unkempt.

I’ve had enough. :mad:

Last edited:

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
Is he seen by a doctor there ? You could bring him/her to task if his condition is not being treated properly. You could also try the media, e.g. local papers, local radio, TV programme makers, ALL the charities for the aged/dementia sufferers, shout loud, you get best served ! Good Luck, I would be angry too.

katie1

Aug 5, 2014
Kendal Cumbria
Have you kept a diary, taken photos? flood the system with evidence.....MP, Newspaper, CQC, All the relevant managers and directors and sponsors of where ever your Dad is, who employs these people??!!have they got a "sister" company? Anyone and everyone, even Age UK and ask for advice, adult social care, solicitor (especially any registered to deal with elderly claims/rights etc) Local Council of where the place is situated----just flood the system, someone will listen! But send them as much information and detail as possible, dates, attitudes, names, photos and so on.
You could also ask for some advice from any web sites specifically for older people in the care system like 'care to be different'.
(Maybe in this election year a bumper pack of your letter/document could be sent to all local candidates with a label on the front "URGENT-So, what action would YOU take?")
However, if you feel strongly that there is a serious case of harm/abuse that needs investigating go and ask the community police officer for advice......they are there to assist you, take along all your evidence including photos and diary notes and worries. Even if they say that they see no actual 'crime's the law, they will be able to put you in touch with the correct people and advise you on the correct procedure before the situation gets any worse and they do have a serious situation to investigate!

southlucia

Dec 19, 2011
Thanks Nitram. I might come back to them.

Bree, the problem is that unless the home notice these concerns and flag them up to the GP, I can’t hold the GP responsible for something she isn’t even aware of. The previous time he had an infection; it was me who contacted the GP, not them. They didn’t even recognise there was anything wrong.

I contacted Age UK today. They were really helpful and knowledgeable. I also contacted SS safeguarding, who will notify CQC. I’ll see what happens next. It’s so difficult, because I work fulltime and it’s impossible to check on him every day.
Katie, yes I keep a diary. I’m starting to get video footage too. If nothing changes I will be flooding everyone!

I just wish I didn’t work fulltime. I’d be on the case all the time.
Thanks for your input.

katie1

Aug 5, 2014
Kendal Cumbria
Thanks Nitram. I might come back to them.

Bree, the problem is that unless the home notice these concerns and flag them up to the GP, I can’t hold the GP responsible for something she isn’t even aware of. The previous time he had an infection; it was me who contacted the GP, not them. They didn’t even recognise there was anything wrong.

I contacted Age UK today. They were really helpful and knowledgeable. I also contacted SS safeguarding, who will notify CQC. I’ll see what happens next. It’s so difficult, because I work fulltime and it’s impossible to check on him every day.
Katie, yes I keep a diary. I’m starting to get video footage too. If nothing changes I will be flooding everyone!

I just wish I didn’t work fulltime. I’d be on the case all the time.
Thanks for your input.

I dont suppose you can put in one of these "secret" cameras, they are really tiny and can be operated remotely by your iPhone! is there anyone else who can go and keep an eye/gather evidence when you are unable to be there? As a last resort could you ask for some compassionate leave, maybe? just a thought, I know it depends on your employers and you might not want to divulge too much to them, but looking after an elderly relative might be all they need to know for now.
I feel that time is of the essence, before something worse happens and in order to bring this out into the open.....its probably happening to others too

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
Have you followed the complaints procedure of the home? they have to have one and it is a good idea to follow that to the letter in the first instance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah R