1. dogdayafternoon

dogdayafternoon Registered User

Dec 30, 2017
    Thanks for all the kind reply's, first we are both only children and have no children. Second my wife has always believed she is psychic and can talk to spirits. Third when I met my wife she would talk about girlfriends but i never met any and since we were married she has never really had any long term friends and has discouraged me meeting old friends so we are now quite isolated.
    One thing I am thinking about is she has had three UTI's in the last three months, the last time the GP mentioned low estrogen level can cause this, when i looked up low estrogen on doctor google it mentions confusion and mood swings as symptoms, when my wife was about 28 we took her to a psychiatrist because of her huge mood swings, he found nothing wrong but suggested hormones but was unable to take blood to check.
    The last few days have had terrible mornings with her but by afternoon she cheers up and we go out, she remembers things from yesterday but not what she just bought in the supermarket.
    As to talking to the GP as I mentioned before I did see the senior partner and told him about her and that is probably why the young GP gave her the memory test, If she won't agree to go to the memory clinic the GP can't force her, same with this appointment for a head scan if I bring it up tomorrow she will probably go mad at me so do I just cancel it?

2. SaraKate

SaraKate Registered User

Dec 29, 2018
    I am so sorry for the hard time you are having. My OH has not such extreme symptoms of impairment but is very moody also, and completely denies that there is anything wrong. Do keep a diary that you can show to the GP or neurologist (if you get to see one) and do try to take her for a brain scan. Most people on this site recommend 'loving lies' in order to get patients into treatment or testing. Can you say you are worried about your memory and you'd like to do the tests together? Also try to make sure you look after yourself. This is a terrible disease which ruins two lives for every patient. Keep asking the GP for help and help from related services, and give yourself an afternoon off now and then. And good luck. Keep us posted.

3. dogdayafternoon

Dec 30, 2017
    OK as I suspected she refused to go for the scan, I tried telling her it was to help with her poor walking but she now thinks I am trying to scam her into leaving so I can get one of these imaginary women.
    On top of this she got another UTI, I got a urine sample from her and took it to the surgery, they were good sending a prescription to the pharmacy in three hours.
    I gave her one antibiotic about 4pm, they are two per day so next one is in the morning but she demanded she keeps the tablets as she is totally aware of when to take them.
    She has been in a nasty mood all day and this does not make for good feelings on y part, I know it is the dementia but she can say very nasty things.

4. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    UTIs cause havoc in people with dementia, usually making the symptoms much worse.
    Did she have the UTI when she was supposed to go for the scan? If so, this wouldnt have helped. You could try again and just not tell her about the appointment until you are there - gives her less time to object. I didnt tell mum about her appointments - I said we were going for coffee and cake, which we did, after the appointment.

5. dogdayafternoon

Dec 30, 2017
    tonight she had a slight fall in the house, landed on the floor and unable to get up, called 111 and got an ambulance in 2hours. The senior paramedic wanted to take an ecg but she refused, he then thought her refusal was not logical and he thought she looked distant and wanted to take her to hospital. I told him about the UTI and he said it could make her unstable and asked if she had dementia and I said yes but not fully diagnosed. In the end he left her in my care and to call the GP in 12 hours but she dont like that, if he can notice it in a short visit how come the GP can't

6. dogdayafternoon

Dec 30, 2017
    Three days in a row she has been in a bad mood, managed to get her to come out in the car on Saturday but said she was very tired then in the evening she began shouting about the people who were in the house when we moved in and a woman who was in her room trying to steal her rings.
    I'm afraid i lost it telling her there was no one like that, today she remembered that I had said that to her and she was in a bad mood all day saying she will go to the police tomorrow to tell them about people trying to steal things.
    I know it's not the right thing to do but listening to being abused for hours on end I need to reply, I do not know how she can speak for so long without having a sore throat

7. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    Im wondering whether the UTI has actually gone or if it is still there.

8. Imstressedout

Imstressedout Registered User

Jun 6, 2019
  9. Agzy

Agzy Registered User

Nov 16, 2016
    Moreton, Wirral. UK.
    Amazing how contrariness seems to be the norm but when the tempers go with them life can be anything but ‘normal’.

10. dogdayafternoon

Dec 30, 2017
    life has a new normal, in the morning she is very angry talking about divorce and going to the cops about the people that were in the house. By about 2pm i can get her to agree to some lunch and go out to the ,shops, she then picks up saying some loving things, she picks food and I put half of it back later before paying. at dinner she begins muttering making herself angry then go's to bed still muttering about me.
    I know it will be the same tomorrow but one more thing, I notice her hand is shaking when pouring out a drink into a glass or cup, is this another step?

11. Imstressedout

Imstressedout Registered User

Jun 6, 2019
    My dad’s hand trembles sometimes too. For him I think it’s a side effect of the multitude of meds.

12. dogdayafternoon

Dec 30, 2017
    Worse today, did the usual bad morning came out with me at 3.0pm, was ok until shopping in M&S she could not decide what to eat, in the end pasta was chosen then she went silent on the way home. She ate some garlic bread but when I brought the pasta she refused it but accepted ice cream later then began ranting about strange people who were in the house.
    Do not know now how I will get her diagnosed. think I will be dealing with this on my own.

13. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    Make sure that the GP knows what is happening. Book an appointment to see him/her or write a letter explaining all the problems and your concerns. Make sure s/he knows that things are progressing.
    Eventually dementia becomes obvious to everyone.