Other medication.

Ashburton

Feb 19, 2007
I was wondering if people have had any experiences of using other medication such as Ginkgo biloba , of course not as an alternative but used in conjunction with prescribed medication.

jan.

Apr 19, 2006
Cheshire, UK.
Hi Ashburton, I would be very careful about using other medications whether herbal or otherwise until you have ok`d it with your G.P. I`ve heard that certain herbal remedies can have adverse affects with prescribed medication, so please check it out first.

Best wishes,
Jan.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
My mother always swore by Ginko Biloba, and there's no doubt, up until her sequence of strokes, she was more on the ball than 98% of the population. I do think it's important to recognise though that just because something is "herbal" doesn't mean it can't have interactions with prescribed medication. GB for example acts as a blood thinner, so it probably wouldn't be a good ides to take it with another one.

Incidentally, regarding your question on the other thread with reference to EPAs. I think a lot depends on how separate your financial lives are. If your mother had a property that needed to be sold, for example, and she needed to go into care, without an EPA or a recievership you wouldn't be able to sell it.

Jennifer

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My husband has taken Ginko Biloba for at least 20 years. Doesn`t seem to have been very effective, for him, anyway.

Ashburton

Feb 19, 2007
jenniferpa said:
My mother always swore by Ginko Biloba, and there's no doubt, up until her sequence of strokes, she was more on the ball than 98% of the population. I do think it's important to recognise though that just because something is "herbal" doesn't mean it can't have interactions with prescribed medication. GB for example acts as a blood thinner, so it probably wouldn't be a good ides to take it with another one.

Incidentally, regarding your question on the other thread with reference to EPAs. I think a lot depends on how separate your financial lives are. If your mother had a property that needed to be sold, for example, and she needed to go into care, without an EPA or a recievership you wouldn't be able to sell it.

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer, thanks, when my mum was first diagnosed, my mum took GB with her aricept and vit. b complex, my dad was a pharmacist, but passed away two months after my mum was diagnosed back in March 2003, we kept up the gb and b complex for afew months after and then did not use, I wouldn't put her back on gb again without first speaking to our gp.

Re EPA, I have always lived at home and continue to do so, I look after my mum full time and am with her all the time, so our expenses are pretty much linked i.e. all household expenses, suppose seperate expenses would be for clothes, as for care we would prob be able to use savings, just when reading the posts I get confused myself and think that I might be doing something wrong, it can be confusing, tks.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
If you think your mother is aware enough to understand, you should download the appropriate forms from the guardianship website and fill them out. You may never need to use them, but better to be safe than sorry. I think it's particularly important if there is no one who could take up the reigns, so to speak, in the event that something happened to you, as someone pointed out in the other thread. You say you could pay for care from savings, but if it got to the point that your mother was incompetant, how would you withdraw any savings that were in her name?

Jennifer

Ashburton

Feb 19, 2007
jenniferpa said:
If you think your mother is aware enough to understand, you should download the appropriate forms from the guardianship website and fill them out. You may never need to use them, but better to be safe than sorry. I think it's particularly important if there is no one who could take up the reigns, so to speak, in the event that something happened to you, as someone pointed out in the other thread. You say you could pay for care from savings, but if it got to the point that your mother was incompetant, how would you withdraw any savings that were in her name?

Jennifer

You know I never thought what would happen,if something happened to me, but you are so right. My mum has a a number of bothers and sisters, but still. You know as crazey as it might sound, but I had never heard of an epa until I joined this board, though if we have joint savings/investments that either one of us can sell or take out, i.e. an either or signature, I assume I could withdraw?

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
I can only add, be careful if you're thinking of "natural" remedies and supplements. This is because they can contain very powerful substances which can also interact with other medications. Hence you should always consult with the doctor before starting anything like that.

As regards EPA, then it is probably a good idea to arrange it, whilst you are able. Even if you have joint accounts an EPA lets you do other things, for example claiming and managing benefits. You may never need to use it, but it's better to have it and not use it than find you need it and it's too late.

Also, remember that EPA is being replaced by LPA - Lasting Power of Attorney.

More info on the site here

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/After_diagnosis/Sorting_out_your_money/info_EPA.htm