OT say dad has to be hoisted to a suitable reclining chair

Welchy07

Feb 8, 2017
Looking for some advice as the hospital OT assessment team say that as dad has deteriorated from supporting himself in sitting position (continually sliding down) he won't be able to be hoisted at home from bed to his normal armchair and will require a reclining chair now - my question : is this something they supply like his hoist and hospital bed with airflow mattress or something we will need to find monies for.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
I think it depends on the budgets of the LA where you live. We have had one supplied and it's very helpful but not ideal so the OT is going to try to make a special case for one which should be better. I did get a quote from one company and it was nearly £3,000 (ex VAT which you shouldn't have to pay if it's for someone who is registered disabled and it's appropriate for their condition). I'm sure the OT will advise you but I think you need a 'tilt in space' function if the chair is to be used with a hoist, and this will help to prevent him sliding down in the chair also. We have been very fortunate to also have a 'tilt in space' combined commode and shower chair which has been a godsend. Transfers from the hoist are much easier now. Hope you are able to get help.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx