Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

OT insisting a hoist is used for mum

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Ardlife, May 19, 2014.

1. Pickle20

Pickle20 Registered User

Feb 19, 2014
    Excuse all the spelling mistakes fingers all over this iPad!

2. Tilly Mint

Tilly Mint Registered User

Jun 14, 2011
    Oh I totally agree that when you find a good one they can be a real treasure. I found a great SW but she got nobbled by the nasty SW we had last and I think the OT we had in the end wouldn't have been so bad if she hadn't been programmed by the nasty SW into singing from the same hymnsheet and taking whatever had been fed to her by the SW. Once I was dealing with her alone we began to almost get on but I was on my guard after everything I'd gone through with the pair of them.

There is an anti slip mat that can go on some things that might help stop your mum's feet from slipping. I'd even consider one of those rubbery things that get put on trays to stop plates shifting about if you thought that would do the trick.

3. copsham

copsham Registered User

Oct 11, 2012
    Oxfordshire
    Pleased for you Ardlife! A good OT, GP, SW is worth their weight in gold! As a previous poster said it is a lot to do with communication. But do look after yourself as the saga progresses.

When the time is right think of nursing/residential if necessary and use all the people on TP to support you!

4. pixie2

pixie2 Registered User

Jul 21, 2018
    I have argued all day with carers about hoists. Mam is better off being what they call drag lifted, no seriously she prefers it. Hoists terrify her

5. TNJJ

TNJJ Registered User

May 7, 2019
    Female
    cornwall
    The carers are not allowed to drag lift.It is dangerous as it can damage skin ,bones etc...They can be fired if caught.

6. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    @pixie2 - A drag lift is classified as a "dangerous lift". It is banned in hospitals, care homes and for carers in the community as it can cause injury to both the lifter and the person being lifted.

I think it would be better to try and find ways of reducing the number of times that your mum needs to be hoisted and also ways of making it less traumatic for her.

7. SophieD

SophieD Administrator
    Staff Member

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    This thread has now been closed due to the time elapsed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.