Osteoporosis, mum's back

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
I took mother for an x-ray on Friday, she has/had been complaining about her back for months now, I feel so guilty, if only I had asked for an x-ray earlier, it has been found that she has Osteoporosis, and the bones at the foot of the spine fractured slightly and fused.

I have asked for a reassessment from the SS but if I call back and make a fuss, will they get things done quicker? Will she be able to stay in her home? Can I get a wheelchair thro' the SS? Can I get a ramp from SS?

I thought I was in control but it seems I'm not. OH also seems to be getting worse with his Parkinson's and his own mind, and he has, in the last couple of months become more "controlling", I gave up work to be his full time carer, but I seem to be drowning.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm sorry to hear that Patsy.

It's the Occupational Therapist here who assesses for things like ramp etc. I would imagine it would be the same in Fife. I think our GP had to make the referral to the OT. Our wheelchair was through a GP referral to district nurses as it seems they are the channel for this. I gave Bill's measurements over the phone and a wheelchair was delivered.

I have osteoporosis but fortunately it has no impact at present.

It must be very hard for you having this and your husbands problems to deal with. It might be an idea to contact the SS for a reassessment of needs and also contact your GP surgery about OT etc. It's as well to cover all bases.

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
Thanks Izzy yes just heard yesterday so I will ask doc and get that reassessment hurried up AGAIN.

Actually mum in East Lothian.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968