Organising and costs of care

LisaV

Feb 22, 2020
Hello, hoping there's someone out there who can advise us.

My brother and I are currently trying to organise ongoing carers to come into my Dad's house and make sure he gets food / basic tasks are completed. Since he came out of hospital after a fall, he has had carers organised by the local authority to come in to the house twice a day, to heat up food. Dad was diagnosed with Alzheimers in February and has major anxiety, sometimes he is very wobbly but at other times he's OK, we have seen a significant decline in his condition over the year - unfortunately COVID restrictions have meant more isolation for him living on his own than we would like. He doesn't need help with washing and dressing yet, but we anticipate it won't be long before he does.

We haven't been very happy with the carers the local authority have organised. One chap spends all his time on his mobile phone or just sits there in silence and doesn't talk to Dad. Others turn up at least an hour different to the time agreed. They stay for about half an hour usually, but they are meant to be there for at least an hour. Dad feels very uncomfortable with them there.

The local authority now wants to start charging Dad for the care. They are suggesting it will cost just under £20/hour for these carers. We don't think they are worth it, and we'd like to organise something else.

Anyone else out there - can you advise on the typical costs of basic carers time (not helping to wash or dress Dad) and whether we should go private, rather than stick with the local authority option? We are worried because of COVID and carer availability / safety as well.... but we don't quite know where to start.

any advice gratefully received, thank you.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I went private, but then I already knew a local girl who was spot on, and did a brilliant job.

You dont have to stick with the carers that the LA use, there areagencies pretty much everywhere. Have google, see what is local and talk to them.

What is hardest is defining a care plan- exactly what you want them to do. Fortunately my lady was a 'thinker' and did what was needed ( and was very sensible with it), and insisted on ''filling the hour'' I paid her for.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Hi @LisaV , I too have organised private carer , it works very well and is less than your quote . I tell them what I would like and they do above and beyond and use their instincts .

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Although I am managing fairly well with my OH at the moment I am well aware of her declining abilities, my own aging and associated difficulties and my needs for respite and, once Christmas is over and hopefully we get some normalcy I too will be planning for care. I presume that the LA would provide me with needs and financial assessments plus a sort of estimate as to contribution which I could use to assess possible private carers.

Lirene

Sep 15, 2019
My husband has private carers. Wonderful ‘girls’ who arrive on time and know exactly what they are doing. More expensive yes, but absolutely worth every penny.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
As others have said you can organise your own carers, which is what happened with my mother in law. She had no input from social services as she was self funding. I had power of attorney for her finances, so I contacted a private agency who came to assess her needs . The cost per hour was the same whatever the carers were expected to do . They were supposed to help with personal care, but my mother in law refused that help . She had a carer in the morning to provide breakfast and eventually that was extended to a lunchtime visit and later an early evening one. You need to be clear what you're expecting the carers to do, otherwise it becomes just paid talking companions, especially if the person with dementia doesn't cooperate and refuses to let carers do anything.

Maddiebd

Oct 27, 2020
Hello, hoping there's someone out there who can advise us.

My brother and I are currently trying to organise ongoing carers to come into my Dad's house and make sure he gets food / basic tasks are completed. Since he came out of hospital after a fall, he has had carers organised by the local authority to come in to the house twice a day, to heat up food. Dad was diagnosed with Alzheimers in February and has major anxiety, sometimes he is very wobbly but at other times he's OK, we have seen a significant decline in his condition over the year - unfortunately COVID restrictions have meant more isolation for him living on his own than we would like. He doesn't need help with washing and dressing yet, but we anticipate it won't be long before he does.

We haven't been very happy with the carers the local authority have organised. One chap spends all his time on his mobile phone or just sits there in silence and doesn't talk to Dad. Others turn up at least an hour different to the time agreed. They stay for about half an hour usually, but they are meant to be there for at least an hour. Dad feels very uncomfortable with them there.

The local authority now wants to start charging Dad for the care. They are suggesting it will cost just under £20/hour for these carers. We don't think they are worth it, and we'd like to organise something else.

Anyone else out there - can you advise on the typical costs of basic carers time (not helping to wash or dress Dad) and whether we should go private, rather than stick with the local authority option? We are worried because of COVID and carer availability / safety as well.... but we don't quite know where to start.

any advice gratefully received, thank you.
Hello. Here’s the thing. I was reading your post and thought my brother had written it. But coded it as we care for mum, have issues with carers (LA) and I am the daughter.
first, my suggestion is you meet with a manager from the care company and discuss what you need, want, must have and would like from the carers who go in to see your dad. You will be paying for a service, as mum doesn’t, and it’s important for not only your dad but for your peace of mind that dad is ok.
we have a Rita we set up which mum sellotapes to her cupboard next to where she sits. This tells her carers are in for certain duties ( morning, lunchtime, teatime, bedvisit). The care company we used, uses an App called Nurse Buddy which sets out the carer times. We have access to it so we can let mum know daily when the times are. She writes them down in her diary. This means we can keep a check on them.
we also have a camera installed that shows anyone arriving and leaving. This is for our peace of mind ( it was initially installed when we had issues with family members coming in an taking things ), and occasionally we have had to question why a time was logged down on the app but the camera shows different times.
we share the care with the care company not only to keep costs down but as we stay over and have to travel quite a distance to be with mum it’s better we make a day of it where we can.
going private is possibly a costly venture, so first I would go back to the care provider and air your concerns. At the moment we have a good bunch of carers but we have to keep on top of it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moniqueishere