Organised trip out from Care Home

Tilly13

Jul 27, 2020
Hello,
i wonder if anyone else has had experience of their PWD going out for a few hours with other Care Home residents.
I'm concerned as Mum has a DoLS in place and has been very unsettled - she hasn't been out of the Care Home since arriving 7 months ago.
At home she was totally disorientated and became very anxious and agitated as she didn't recognise her home or the road.
On returns from a drive out she would be confused , unsettled and very annoyed.
Just maybe I'm worrying too much?

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My husband went out with carers from the nursing home. Only to the local supermarket, the duck pond to feed the ducks or a pre lunch drink at the local pub. At most an hour out if the nursing home. When he started to get agitated I agreed, along with the Manager that he no longer left the nursing home. A DOLs stops residents going out alone, they can go out accompanied. If you are concerned have a word with the Manager and say you do not want your mum to be taken out at the moment.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Tilly13 My wife went out to a farm trip with the activities coordinator, some fellow residents and other staff. She also convinced staff to take her to church, having never gone in her adult life. A local cafe for coffee and huge slabs of cake was another regular trip. I used to take her there or for a walk to a nearby nature reserve. She seemed to enjoy these at the time but soon forgot. There was never any difficulty in getting her to go back. Although she too has a DOLS authorization in place this had no bearing other than trips out needed to be accompanied by a staff member or other responsible adult.

Trips out were suspended during the pandemic but are starting up again. Unfortunately since those early trips in 2019 my wife's dementia has progressed. The farthest we go now is into the garden.

There is nothing that says your Mum must go on trips. If you think that it would be too upsetting or disorienting then it may be better not to. Perhaps she could try a shorter, local trip then you could decide from how that goes whether more trips would be to her benefit.

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
My husbands home has coach trips once or twice a month, and they were for 2 hrs but between families it was agreed to cut it down to 1 hr. My husband hasn’t gone yet as it only takes 2 wheelchairs, but it’s well staffed, but voluntary only, and if we don’t want them to go, we just say so.