organisations

snuffyuk

Jul 8, 2004
Near Bristol
hello to all who remember me.I have a friend in the Bristol UK area who has just started out on the caring road for her father who is beggining to show those tell tale signs of Alzheimers. I promised to find out what support services are available which would give her the occasional all important break. She could ask at her local GP surgery but I feel she wont. I can't remember !!! who I used to come in to keep my mum company but I am south of Bristol not in Bristol.
Would anyone be able to tell me National and if possible local help available.
Best wishes to all
snuffy

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
hi Snuffy
I have missed you,are you alright?
Tell your friend to contact social services.
I think you used crossroads?
Norman

snuffyuk

Jul 8, 2004
Near Bristol
Hello Norman. how great to "see" a freindly face. to be honest I could be better as things since my mums parting are still dragging on and sadly I am finding that what I thought was a loving close family is not as i thought.

More importantly how goes things with?

I do miss this site as it a place where real freinds are made although probably never to meet.

Take care
Snuffy

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Hi snuffyuk

I’ve not been on this site long so do not know you ,but would like to say Hi , so how long ago was you on this site? .

Tell your friend to phone her local town hall ,& like Norman said they about social services., they know the number for the Elderly social worker section & there get the ball rolling in getting help for your friend .

Was you your mother full time carer before your mum went into a care home?

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
snuffyuk said:
I do miss this site as it a place where real friends are made although probably never to meet.
Snuffy

Snuffy, I'm sure your old friends would still welcome your contributions to TP, as would us Newbies at earlier stages of the journey.
I'm coming to the conclusion that "cyber-friends" are just as real as the ones who live in the same town, and sometimes much more so!

snuffyuk

Jul 8, 2004
Near Bristol
well it was so nice to read all the replys from old freinds and new people on the forum.
I have had a really horrible year since mum died on May 10th 05.
I have had tears every day for a year which is something I could never ever imagine possible. I have found that what I thought was a close warm family is not that at all. I ahve had to leave the house where I cared for mum as it is part of her estate and my siblings want their inheritance. That is fair enough but they would not consider lending me a small amount each to enable me to buy a small property of my own. I am just starting the move to a rented property with my 2 sons,20 and 16. The younger one is in the middle of GCSE.
I sound very bitter and sorry for that but please all of you consider your future before you undertake caring even if it is for somone you love. The strange thing is that "everyone" I know in my village all tell me how unfair it all is.I even had a neighbours ask if they could write to my siblings to state their feelings. My siblings seem to be totally unaware of the real situation. Full of praise when mum was alive!!
sorry again but am very tired. I have had a good rant here which helps no end.
thanks

snuffy

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Snuffy, what an unbelievable situation; I am so sorry for you, and can only imagine how your mum would have felt.
I hope the move goes well; start a new home with your sons, and stuff the rest of them!! You must look to the welfare of yourself and your boys.
Best wishes, Helen

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
Carer's Future

Hi Snuffy,
Well done for looking after your Mum but how unfair of your siblings! Don't they realise that if you hadn't cared for her in her own home and she'd gone into a care home, the house would have had to have been sold to pay for her care fees.
My Mum's Nursing Home fees are horrendous and although we are managing at the moment, in the future we may be forced to sell her house. Have you asked for legal advice or gone to the Citizen's Advice Bureau? Has this issue ever been taken up by anyone, I wonder?
Take care and I hope things improve for you soon,
Kayla

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peej