Oral care (teeth brushing) concerns

KDK

Jun 20, 2016
Kent
Hi
I don't know if anyone can help but I am concerned about the state of my mum's teeth. She has advanced Alzheimer's and is in a nursing home. Bed bound and her food is pureed. It appears the care home aren't using a tooth brush because it makes her gums bleed and I gather it is also difficult to clean her teeth due to the advanced Alzheimer's. It appears they are using wet wipes! I have made a complaint today and am waiting for a response but wondered if anyone has any advice or experience of this situation? Thank you very much.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @KDK

Here is advice from the Alzheimer`s Society. I hope it helps.

I suppose this is one time when having dentures makes oral care easier.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @KDK sorry to hear about your mum's teeth. My mum is in a nursing home and on a soft diet and staff are managing to brush her teeth using a very soft, small headed toothbrush that I provided. She is complaint with her care though, and probably not quite as advanced as your mum, and I think it would be not so easy to manage if she was resisting. Not sure if this helps, but hopefully a chat with the care home manager will be productive.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Getting a person with dementia to clean their teeth or have them cleaned by someone else can be a problem. My wife had an electric toothbrush but forgot how to use it. The staff in her home do try to clean her teeth with a manual brush but are not always successful.

It could be an issue of gum health rather than teeth as such. But getting a person with dementia to use mouthwash ...

Speaking informally to a senior carer or the manager is often the best way to agree what can be tried if there are any issues of personal care. This may need to be a compromise between what is desirable and what is practicable.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
old ginger