Options for mum - so sad to be on this thread

DeeJ18

Apr 25, 2018
Hi, I recently posted for advice about my mum who has a number of physical ailments in addition to countless symptoms of dementia but is unable to recognise that she needs medical support for either.

We therefore have no diagnosis and no current treatment. However she is now refusing/unable to drink fluids and everything I read about this suggests that this can only go on for a matter of days.

We've tried to get medical help but they previously assessed her as medically competent and said there was nothing we could do. I am sure this will now be different however by the time I get a GP out to assess her it will probably be too late. We do not want to go down the route of ambulance / A&E as this would cause her great distress and I don't think I could ever forgive myself for this. Does anyone know - do any hospices take people in and treat them when there is no medical assessment? This is the type of care I think is needed now but I have no idea what the process would be to get her in, or even if it's possible.

Thanks for any advice for this terrible and complicated situation.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I'm sorry to hear your sad news, I hope this helps.
My local hospice (link below) do say that "All health and social care professionals can make a referral. Also, patients, families and friends can seek a referral directly" so you can self refer to my local hospice as family or friend.
If you google the names of the places local to you, hopefully, you'll be able to do this too.
K

https://www.sah.org.uk/how-we-help/how-to-refer-a-patient/

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Whilst it may be possible, if it's anything like our local hospice beds are at a premium. When f-I-l was dying of cancer the hospital said they had 6 patients who all needed the one available bed. In fact he was so near death he got it because they knew in a couple of days it would be available again.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
My late husband was referred to the hospice by the GP, but I guess you cannot go wrong by contacting the hospice and asking for their advice. I am so sorry that you are going through this. End of life care is never quite how we imagine, or hope, it might be.