Optician/Eye Test...

Charlie

Apr 1, 2003
Hi All,

I wondered if anyone has any general advice for helping my dad get his eyes tested. My dad has a trip to the optician this week and I'm not really sure how they can reliably carry out the eye test now that he has dementia.

We will obviously make the optician aware of the situation, but I'm not sure how he will be able to carry out the test as the eyechart will probably cause problems. Dad can still pick up words but will find it had to concentrate.

Any experiences.

I could not find a factsheet on this subject.

thanks
Charlie....

Last edited:

Charlie

Apr 1, 2003
Thanks for the guidance....

I had a good look at the RNIB site but unfortunately you have to pay for the leaflets/information which is a bit dissapointing mainly from a time point of view.

Just in case anyone else is looking for information in the future the RNIB now offer two leaflets:

Dementia and sight loss in older people. New!
PR 11767 • £1
Improving environments for people with dementia and sight loss . New!
PR 11763 • £1

Many thanks
Charlie

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I have just had Jan registered as blind, but I pretty much had to tell the consultant the diagnosis [...er as I have had to do for most of her problems...] as he looked totally nonplussed when he was faced with someone who could neither speak understandably, nor comprehend what she was being asked.

Jan, of course, is quite well advanced in her dementia, and it may be that someone less well advanced won't pose such a problem.

It is a bummer when they lose everything including sight. :(

Good luck.

janey

Jun 29, 2004
Ordered RNIB factsheets

Thanks Meldrew and Charlie for the info about RNIB factsheets regarding dementia - my mum's eyesight is badly affected and we've been wondering what can be done to help her, so I've ordered both the factsheets Charlie mentions. I'll let you know if they're helpful.

Suzy R

Jul 4, 2004
Switzerland
Don't know if this helps, but here in Switzerland there is a device which most opticians use when processing sight tests for driving licenses. The person being tested just looks into the machine and somehow using reflective techniques a reading is made. I seem to remember that my test was very precise. There was no need to sit in the chair, read the chart or answer any questions.