Opinions please

Corry

Jul 10, 2020
Once you get a diagnosis what services are available other than a leaflet for the Alzheimer's Society? My Nanna, Mother in Law both diedof dementia and now my Father in Law has dementia. Each time there were no suitable services available.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome to the forum @Corry Available services tend to vary from one area/local authority to another. If you let us know the type of services you are looking for for your father in law eg carers, support groups, day centres etc then members here will hopefully be able to point you in the right direction. Unfortunately it's not uncommon for people to just be given a few leaflets after diagnosis and then get left to get on with things - it happened to mum - so you do tend to have to be proactive about things sometimes.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It couldn`t be a worse time for a diagnosis @Corry, in the middle of a pandemic when all services are disrupted.

The Alzheimer`s Society has a Dementia Support Helpline and perhaps they will be able to point you in the right direction for these worrying times.

Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of support and experience here and I hope you will find it helpful

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Age UK are another helpful organisation who can point to local facilities. Dementia UK have special advisers.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Corry.

You may be able to find out what is available locally using this link -

Face to face service may not be available at the moment due to the Covid situation though.

One Moment At A Time

Jan 4, 2019
Puerto Rico
Once you get a diagnosis what services are available other than a leaflet for the Alzheimer's Society? My Nanna, Mother in Law both diedof dementia and now my Father in Law has dementia. Each time there were no suitable services available.
Good morning to you from Puerto Rico, I'm a 59 years old male, on 8/2008 was Dx with early stages of AD & been medicated since with Namenda XR 28, Aricept 5 mg.I have other health issues but thank God have airport of my faith, my dear wife, two adult daughter & son, two Treasures grandsons 10 & 12 years of age, friends, health care providers, I regularly attend Alcoholic Anonimous & AD fellowship meetings.

Do things I enjoy like reading, crossword puzzle, lisening to music, play games with my grandsons, see movies, help my wife with the dishes, washing ... .

It's very healthy keeping my mind occupied.

Easy does it / Baby steps / the Lords Prayer & the Serenity Prayer.

Like the AA program suggest take live 24 hours segments.

Please be careful, be safe and take care.

Buenas noches & God bless you;

Happy 24hrs, "Dr. Bob & Will W." friend Genaro.

One Moment At A Time

Jan 4, 2019
Puerto Rico
Good morning to you from Puerto Rico, I'm a 59 years old male, on 8/2008 was Dx with early stages of AD & been medicated since with Namenda XR 28, Aricept 5 mg.I have other health issues but thank God have airport of my faith, my dear wife, two adult daughter & son, two Treasures grandsons 10 & 12 years of age, friends, health care providers, I regularly attend Alcoholic Anonimous & AD fellowship meetings.

Do things I enjoy like reading, crossword puzzle, lisening to music, play games with my grandsons, see movies, help my wife with the dishes, washing ... .

It's very healthy keeping my mind occupied.

Easy does it / Baby steps / the Lords Prayer & the Serenity Prayer.

Like the AA program suggest take live 24 hours segments.

Please be careful, be safe and take care.

Buenas noches & God bless you;

Happy 24hrs, "Dr. Bob & Will W." friend Genaro.
Correction; "Dr. Bob & Bill W." friend Genaro.