1. Marie111

Marie111 Registered User

Sep 8, 2019
    The OPG have been investigating my mother’s solicitors.
    The investigator said it would take 3.5 months.
    It’s nearly that time. I keep emailing her and I’ve rung the official OPG office and they’ve left messages and she has not got back to me. Neither has she got back to SS safeguarding and they say put in a complaint to the ombudsman. I’m hesitant to do that in case it affects the investigation.

The solicitors still won’t send my mother an invoice and bill for what they’ve charged her. We had to go to bank for statements for past few months as solicitor wont tell her how much she has got left. There are 5 figure sums paid to her solicitor but one account has been closed so we can’t see where the rest of her bungalow money has gone. Or get statements from that account as it’s been closed.
    If this isn’t appropriate I can remove it but I’m confused again and by the lack of communication by the OPG investigator. It said in the letter that to investigate the firm needs to have current lpa that’s why I haven’t gone for poa. But wondering if I should.

thanks

2. nellbelles

nellbelles Volunteer Host

Nov 6, 2008
    leicester
  3. Bod

Bod Registered User

Aug 30, 2013
    Has the solicitor been appointed by the OPG?
    Does your mother still have the capacity to grant you a Lasting Power of Attorney?
    You might be able to go to the Legal Ombudsman, to complain about the solicitor.
    Who engaged the solicitor in the first place?
    It is them whom he should talk to, not anyone else. Unless they have Power of attorney for that person.

Bod

4. Marie111

Marie111 Registered User

Sep 8, 2019

No the court hasn’t appointed the solicitor in fact a year ago they told her not to have him as professionals had concerns about him and referred it to an investigator. They left it up to her to decide.

now he’s left her with hardly anything the OPG have said she doesn’t have capacity

so I can’t just apply for lpa now without going to court.
    My mother took the solicitor on.
    Legal ombudsman says it’s a matter for solicitors regulation authority. They won’t look at it because my mother’s happy with the service as she thinks they haven’t billed her. So SRA won’t help.

5. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    As she no longer has capacity and the solicitor hasnt been appointed by the Court can you apply for Court of Protection deputyship so that you can take over her finances and try and sort it out?

6. Bod

Bod Registered User

Aug 30, 2013
    Has your mother had Local Authority financial assessment?
    If the solicitor has done badly wrong, there might be a Deprivation of Assets investigation, by the Social services. But that would depend on many other things.
    Deputyship may be your only way to go now.

Bod