OPG Agent unannounced.

happyhacker

Aug 11, 2014
Looking after financials and get a contact from an OPG agent to talk about finances. They give a name I have not dealt with and the OPG or this person has not provided proof of who they are so I said I would not discuss finances over the phone and anyway I have already sent the report in for last year in March. This persons response was that if I am not prepared to discuss with them they will have to report my non compliance back to OPG.

Even when I get their letter it surely is not proof enough for me to discuss my mothers finances.

Have neither the OPG or this person heard of on-line financial scams?

What to do?

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Phone the OPG and ask them about it. I had to talk to them in the summer and though it took time to get through to them, they were very helpful when they did.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I deal regularly with HMRC and they request 'security questions' to speak to me if I phone them and sometimes when they phone me if it isn't a direct contact on a particular 'case' .

It would be obvious (to me at least) if they weren't HMRC but I do find it odd to have to get through security when they phone me

It is always difficult to spot scams but you do need to engage with this to stop it escalating.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
I do agree @happyhacker contact the OPG on their helpline and tell them exactly what happened, especially the name, time of call and number if your phone has recorded it ... that way you have covered yourself, let them know you were concerned and flagged up a problem if this was a scam call