Oops!

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
English

"but I always like to comment on correct usage of English [and otherwise]. "
Whoops that's scarey. I'll just maintain that I'm good at English but rubbish at typing!

How do you get this thing to do the quotes?

Amy

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hey Lynne
how cruel to wind me up, to needlessly split an infinitive! ;)

I'm not fanatical about language - I do like to say "great" when I see some nice usage though! I get furious at the BBC's inability to speak sentences correctly using group nouns [they no longer understand the basics of the English language], because in the past, the BBC has helped Brits to better speech. [they would have said "the BBC have helped..."]

Amy, no, not scarey. Just a foible. Feel free to ignore me.

To do quotes, [there is also a button you can use instead, to the left of the "Close All Tags" text when you type your post. press that, enter your text then press ENTER] my way , I have to separate the letters you need to type otherwise TP will take it as a quote and destroy the meaning....

I'll add a space between each character. Just take out the spaces and use what is left and it will put your text in a quote box.

Before the quoted text type [ Q U O T E ]

then type the text and finish with [ / Q U O T E ]

Hopefully you are not now totally confused.... :confused:

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
Beckyjan,

so glad it went well for you and David - that is great, grate news... Bet he was tired and scared but you seem to have handled it better than me or been luckier or both.. At least now you know there is a space in the week for yourself and and David will 'get out' meet other people and form new relationships - wonderful.

Suspect that getting people like David and Monique to go out and meet new people - experience new things is one of the best things we can do to help them - Monique is so so bored and of course has little or nothing to talk about - the condition plus the fact there is nothing to talk about!! But now David has - thrilled for you

Monique is much better after the 'oops'... really brightened up - and for the very first time last night actually talked about the muddled state of her head and a bit about what it is like.... Not sure if she will remember the conversation but if we have it a few times, together we can give her deamons names and make plans to combat them - not win but at least be singing from the same song sheet (mixed metaphore!!)

I get furious at the BBC's inability to speak sentences correctly using group nouns
Hey I can do it too Amy - thanks Bruce!"!"

I actually worked an awful lot for the BBC in Drama department - we mostly belived it was about communication - speaking like wot folks do on the street. English is a constantly evovlving dynamic language - not dead like Latin or Greek. It is the abilty to communicate, easily, using common parlence that is important - it is what you have to say not the way you say it - Content not presentation - Sam Peypes said: "I have no patience for a man with so little imagination he can only think of one way to spell a word"!
Spellcheck, which I use all the time has changed that for ever - sadly - we all spell like Americans - and why not?... I have always suspected that education is vastly over rated....You set yourself up for that Bruce. I am smiling as I type.......
Have a good day out there -

love to you all

Michael

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
I had to smile at your "spell like American's" comment. Since coming on this forum, I had to find a web site that gives the English slang and meanings to understand a few things being said. I love the way the English speak amd spell.
(which I also didn't know was different until TP). If you could hear me you would laugh. I am from Texas and grew up around West Texas slang. As a kid I heard everything with that slang so grew up to not only mispronouce everything, I also said just about every quote incorrectly. I married a Chicagoan who I keep entertained with my accent and weird way of saying just about everything. It has made me consicious of it and over the years I've tried to temper it alot and made some improvements.
Must tell you that for that reason I have always understood everything that George Bush says. He isn't stupid, it is just where he is from ! :D
See yall layter. (thank God for spell check !)
Debbie

I

inmyname

I and my family actually find the sloppy language thats currently in use on the BBC especially childrens programmes to be appalling

Its no good saying that its adjusted to the times

We hear people saying awful foul language on our streets all the time but that does not make it acceptable

As someone in the supermarket today said to me when a child of 7 was swearing abuse at its parent .........and who did they learn that language from ?

Whilst i do not think its nessecary to get het up over grammatical errors i do think children especially need to learn by example and TV has become a major teacher in the 21st century

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
More like "The burds churp in tha trees " Yeh, yours is Brooklyn I think !

Isn't it amazing the renditions we have of the same language !!!

Robert

Feb 25, 2005
Hello Michael,

So, you're English like wot the rest of us are, well most of us.

So, no beret, no onions over the bicycle handlebars.

And a middle aged hippy even.

Another illusion shattered.

Oh well, c'est la vie.

Bon jour (as Dell boy would say)

Robert.