only 51

sophie123

Feb 14, 2007
Berkshire
Dear all,

I have just signed up to this forum, and I hope it will prove to help me in my current situation. My mother was diagnosed with early-onset dementia in April 2006, at the age of 53. Unfortunately, she is divorced from my father so the responsibility fell on me (21) and my sister (23) to arrange her care, and we moved her into a nursing home nearby. I am her receiver now, but am a final year student so could not be her carer. I admire those of you who have taken that upon themselves, and wish everyone the best.

Sophie

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Sophie, and welcome to TP.

I`m so sorry your mother has been diagnosed so young. It is a cruel condition for both sufferers and carers alike.

It is also very difficult for you, as a student, to cope with the emotional turmoil.

You will get so much support on TP. Whoever registers learns there is always someone here to listen. I don`t know how I would cope without it.

Keep posting. Love Sylvia x

rudolph

Feb 19, 2007
Glasgow
Dear Cathy,

My mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's about 6 years ago, when she was 48 and my youngest brothers were aged five and ten. They both adjusted really well to the change in circumstances and accepted that things would be a bit different at home. The ten-year-old did turn things to his advantage for a while by "helping" my mother with her money but he soon realised that this was wrong and has never done anything like that since. They've both effectively grown up without their mother being able to do much for them but they seem pretty well adjusted, and do okay at school (probably no worse than they would have done anyway!). Children adapt and accept far more readily and easily than adults. I think your daughter will do fine as long as you're reasonably open and honest with her and make sure that you spend some quality time with her alone at least once a week. This can be difficult when things progress but I think it's really important.

Megan

Sep 10, 2005
Hampshire
Hi Cathy my husband was diagnosed at 54, although he had symptoms for the previous year to that. We too have a daughter who has just had her 10th birthday, Colin as been diagnosed for three and a half years now and things are tough. But we cope daily and to be honest my daughter takes it all in her stride! She'll often tell her dad that he's repeated something to her constantly, or she'll tell me to lock the door or he'll disappear etc. So I think if your husband does have AZ or dementia then your daughter will accept it and grow with it, I think children just do. It's good to have contact with people in the same situation as yourself and somewhere to ask questions and know that someone else has more than likely come across the same problem.