1. Welcome to Talking Point - an online community for everyone who is affected by dementia. Whether you have dementia or know someone who does, we will be there for you.

If you need help using Talking Point, read our Help pages or contact us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk

2. Hi everyone, Talking Point is back! We’ve updated the software in order to improve security, design, and the way the community works, and introduced some helpful features.

Find out more

Online virtual memory cafe

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Talking Point' started by PeterWT, Dec 5, 2017.

1. PeterWT

PeterWT New member

Oct 30, 2017
    #1 PeterWT, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    On my first post I referred to the online Memory Café administered by Dementia Mentors and I am delighted that my letter giving details has been published in the latest Alzheimer's magazine "Living with Dementia" page 26. I have been encouraged by the interest that has been shown in this type of communication/activity where we sit as in a café and see each other on the screen, all that is needed is a computer and camera and you simply click on a point in an email sent one hour before the café starts, and you drop in and out as you are able. You can find more details from the Dementia Mentors web site and my dementia hero is Gary Joseph Le Blanc a more informed expert than any I have encountered and he often joins in the café meetings which gives opportunities to fire questions to him.
    Following some queries the Magazine Living with dementia can be accessed via Alzheimer's website and details of Dementia mentors can be found from their website

2. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    The link to the site in 'Living With Dementia' does not work.
    The link is www.dementiamentors.org

Unfortunately there is a newline before the org so you end up nowhere maybe being offered www.dementiamentors.com which is entirely different although interesting.

As well as giving details of the online café the correct site contains a large selection of interesting videos www.dementiamentors.org/videos.html

@Mark_W I realise its not TP's remit, is there any chance of the online PDF being edited?

3. Mark_W

Mark_W Administrator
    Staff Member

Sep 28, 2015
    London
    I don't know if it can be updated but I will mention it to our publications team and see what they can do. Thanks for flagging this up @nitram.

4. Mark_W

Mark_W Administrator
    Staff Member

Sep 28, 2015
    London
    I've just had a conversation with Danny, the editor of Living with Dementia and while they can't fix this problem in the current issue it's now on their radar as something to keep an eye on for future issues. He also says thanks for the useful feedback :).

5. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    Glad to have been of help, thanks for letting me know the result.

6. PeterWT

PeterWT New member

Oct 30, 2017
    At a recent online memory café I was reminded what a wonderful web site called Glorious Opportunity is run by Jennifer Bute; a former GP diagnosed some years ago but goes to conferences around the country and is very encouraging in living with dementia.