Online shopping- not vulnerable enough

OonaghM

Mar 21, 2020
Hello community! I was just wondering if anyone had managed to find any supermarkets accepting new customers for online delivery? I've been trying to get something set up for my vulnerable parents but it just seems completely impossible now. I also tried the government gateway but dementia alone isn't one of the conditions that qualifies for priority slots.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hello @OonaghM. This is a problem at the moment. I wonder if there are any shops local to your parents who would deliver? Many local shops and businesses are offering a delivery service at the moment, so worth looking into that. Some district councils have also set up a volunteer system to help with shopping for vulnerable residents. Did your parents receive anything by post from the council?

OonaghM

Mar 21, 2020
Hello @OonaghM. This is a problem at the moment. I wonder if there are any shops local to your parents who would deliver? Many local shops and businesses are offering a delivery service at the moment, so worth looking into that. Some district councils have also set up a volunteer system to help with shopping for vulnerable residents. Did your parents receive anything by post from the council?
Thank you for getting back to me! I hadn't thought about either of those avenues so I will try both. Happy Easter to you.

Hamilton10

Aug 9, 2019
Hello
I had the same problem but eventually managed to do it through contacting Sainsbury's directly.
Good luck

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I was discussing this with neighbours today as most of them are over 70 (each on our own driveways - one neighbours birthday)

One neighbour has managed to get an Iceland slot - she said it was the only supermarket they had managed to get a slot with having tried all of them - they are releasing slots throughout the day she said so just keep checking.

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
My Dad lives 560 miles from me and I have tried to get him a delivery from Sainsbury’s. I went onto the government website as it says you can register someone else, but it appears I have registered myself! I got him one delivery, but there are now no slots for the next 3 weeks. Check out Age Concern, as my dad did get a fresh box from them with milk and eggs. I have also sent him food via parcelforce, not cheap, but it got there, including 8 out of the 12 eggs that I bubble wrapped! Also if you are on FB, check out any local community posts for delivery volunteers.

Hamilton10

Aug 9, 2019
How did you manage to reach them? Did you go to a store in the end? Thank you!

No, I phoned a number on the website and you had to answer all these questions about your age etc. but somehow it worked and I got my mother registered as vulnerable. Then I just kept checking for slots and one day there were some. I think they have slots that are only visible to those people who have registered as vulnerable. The only problem is that it seems to have registered my address (which is ok as I can take the shopping over) but I hope Sainsbury's doesn't think I've wangled the system!

OonaghM

Mar 21, 2020
Thanks so much everyone- some really helpful, practical advice here. Really appreciate it.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
My in laws were contacted directly by Sainsburys as they are regular customers . I rang the number on Sainsburys site to get delivery for 80 year old aunt & uncle . Have found them to be really good .

kwil

Apr 11, 2020
You can try registering with Sainsbury’s. You need to link a nectar card to the account and go onto nectar.com where you have to put their date of birth. Sainsbury’s then know they are over 70 and automatically go on their vulnerable list and slots will be available for delivery. I have been doing the shopping for my parents for years from there and they still get a shop every week which is excellent Sainsbury’s have been really on the ball with getting this organised,

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Have you tried Asda, I am in the process of setting up orders for my Mil who lives in Essex, I live in Scotland but she does not have access to the internet. The problem is finding an available slot, you have to sign in just before midnight and sit in a queue.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
You can try registering with Sainsbury’s. You need to link a nectar card to the account and go onto nectar.com where you have to put their date of birth. Sainsbury’s then know they are over 70 and automatically go on their vulnerable list and slots will be available for delivery. I have been doing the shopping for my parents for years from there and they still get a shop every week which is excellent Sainsbury’s have been really on the ball with getting this organised,

Welcome to DTP @kwil

OonaghM

Mar 21, 2020
Hi everyone, thanks again for all the advice. Just to share another success story I had in the end, if people can't get Sainsbury's to work. Our local authority told me about Morrisons Doorstep Delivery. If you are vulnerable and live within 10 miles of a Morrisons you can choose from (quite a long) list of essential items on their website, call up and read out the list of items you want and they deliver the next day- you just pay them on the doorstep by card when the delivery arrives. We just tested it out with Mum & Dad and it worked perfectly! Such a relief.

OonaghM

Mar 21, 2020
Oh, and to avoid the queue on the main Morrisons website you just put Morrisons Doorstep Delivery into Google search and navigate to the page from there ?

Mydarlingdaughter

Oct 25, 2019
North East England UK
Assuming your parnts are over 70, they should be eligible to access all the support from the National Sheilding Service. Health Professional can refer the to NHS Volunteer Responder Service. Local council should also be offering support.
Supermarkets wont contact them unless they are registered with Sheilding Service. and also registered with an online shopping account.

Mydarlingdaughter

Oct 25, 2019
North East England UK
I also joined up with Iceland recently, havent used them yet but they offer priority slots for those on the vulnerable list.
Tesco seem to have the most priority slots, but they are in an 8 hour windowm, not great for planning ahead.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
I finally managed to get my MiL a delivery slot with Morrisons, as she does not have internet access I registered with her name and address, used my e-mail and my debit card. We tried using her debit card but her bank sends a text with a code to authorise the payment and as I am in Scotland and she is in Essex that was a problem so she will send me a monthly cheque for her shopping. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it works and I can get her a regular slot. Luckily she has a nice neighbor who is getting her milk, bread and fruit and posting letters for her.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tarydew