Online research survey for improving the development of a wearable technology for dementia patients

shahrooz.shahin

Jan 12, 2022
Admirable intentions and I wish you well.

But people with dementia need people around them, to do their thinking for them, not technology. Unless your technology understands dementia.
Hi @Jaded'n'faded

Thank you for your comment.
We absolutely agree with you, and we will not exclude the people around them. Nonetheless, our goal is to assist caregivers in supporting patients by meeting some of their fundamental needs and decreasing part of their workload. On the other hand, this technology is more likely to be effective for people who have mild symptoms of dementia and are in the early stages of the disease.

However, any feedback from carers on which issue or challenge is most important to them, and if there is any way to assist them in their caring role, is very appreciated, and we will attempt to evaluate all viable solutions.

Kind regards,
Shahrooz

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I'm struggling to understand how technology can 'reduce the effort and stress for caregivers'.

Will it answer countless questions, reassure the person that their money isn't being stolen, clear up the mess from eating or incontinence, rush out to hospital with the person in the middle of the night and wait with them for 8 hours in A & E?

These are the problems caregivers face. Technology is no help whatsoever. Caregivers need help, respite, sleep and appreciation.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I'm struggling to understand how technology can 'reduce the effort and stress for caregivers'.

Will it answer countless questions, reassure the person that their money isn't being stolen, clear up the mess from eating or incontinence, rush out to hospital with the person in the middle of the night and wait with them for 8 hours in A & E?

These are the problems caregivers face. Technology is no help whatsoever. Caregivers need help, respite, sleep and appreciation.
I quite agree @Jaded'n'faded . I tried various technilogical aides available at the time all of which failed miserably and in some senses created a false sense of security.

I think in time as new generations grow older this may change as use of PC's and digital technology is embedded in younger genrations -as an example of many possibilities, but for now it is unlikely that any technology can be of real benefit and governments that endorse this in research policy and funding need to go and live and care for someone with dementia to recognise the very significant difficulties on the use of 'technology' or 'digital' solutions in a population that experiences very profound changes in ability to function without the help of another human being even in the mid stages of dementia.

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
One piece of wearable technology that can reduce the stress for carers is
https://www.dementiabuddy.co.uk/guardian-angel-devices .
It's a tag available in many formats that interacts with any NFC enabled device (most smartphones) and displays a name and contact details enabling a lost PWD to be located.
2022-03-15_155414.png

A well known charity subsidises or covers the cost in some areas.

shahrooz.shahin

Jan 12, 2022

@Jaded'n'faded
Thank you for your comment and for bringing up the issues that caregivers face.

I agree wholeheartedly with you, and there is no doubt that no technology can replace human support and the work that carers perform. However, as previously stated, this research would primarily focus on patients in the early stages of dementia and might address their needs at the start of the disease.

Could you kindly inform me if all of the problems you raise are present from the early part of dementia?

shahrooz.shahin

Jan 12, 2022
I've done the survey. My mother wouldn't have used it as by the time it was needed she wasn't able to understand technology she wasn't familiar with as I'd tried to get her to use various things to help with her poor eyesight with no luck. She also thought there was nothing wrong with her and wouldn't have seen the need anyway.
Hi @Sarasa

Many thanks for your participation in the survey and your comments.

shahrooz.shahin

Jan 12, 2022
it wont let me change my email address so the tech is not working and i havent got dementia
Hi @jennifer1967
Thanks for your post and for taking the time to try out our survey.

I'm sorry, however, that this Google form has been challenging. If you are interested in participating, I can write the questions here.

Please let me know if this helps.

Kind regards,
Shahrooz

Last edited by a moderator:

shahrooz.shahin

Jan 12, 2022
It's a google doc, so only understands gmail addresses, it should let you create a different one.
Although I have two gmail addresses I'm not getting tangled up in google doc and google drive.

EDIT
If not signed into google and you ignore requests to sign into google so you can save response it will let you proceed with an email address.
@nitram
Thank you very much for your clarification and help:)

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
@jennifer1967

If you sign out of google, ignore invitation to sign in, scroll down, and click 'next' you can just carry on without entering any email.

I can get to the submit page but have not actually submitted because I am a former carer not a carer. I think it will go through though.

2022-03-15_170519.png

shahrooz.shahin

Jan 12, 2022
All very admirable, but as others have said, technology will have it's limitations. My mother in law would not have remembered to use anything, if it involved pressing buttons, she couldn't remember to press her carelink if she fell, let alone anything introduced as a new appliance.
@Rosettastone57
Many thanks for your comment and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

It is absolutely true that technology has its own practical limits, but what if we try to minimise some of the difficulties, for example, by not needing to press any buttons or letting the patient worry about activating the device for the function (I mean, designing a device with the ability to gather all the necessary data completely automatically, including the image and voice, vital signs, fall detection sensing, safety issues around and ...)?

And, of course, I highlight that this technology is currently specifically designed for the early stages of dementia, with the major aim of serving caregivers. Do you consider there are any ideas or opinions on any concerns that would be advantageous to you as a caregiver in this circumstance and under these conditions?