Online Power of Attorney

Jessy82

Mar 15, 2021
Hi, I recently registered mums POA online with gov. uk. I was sent an access code and key numbers on the document, from the solicitor who did the POA. I opened an account on gov. uk that says I can access all information by logging in and use it to show banks and utilities that I have POA. Does this mean I don't have to use paper copies? Will the bank and utilities accept the online documents? Thanks in advance

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You will have to ask each bank, not all banks have woken up to using digital technology.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Hi, I recently registered mums POA online with gov. uk. I was sent an access code and key numbers on the document, from the solicitor who did the POA. I opened an account on gov. uk that says I can access all information by logging in and use it to show banks and utilities that I have POA. Does this mean I don't have to use paper copies? Will the bank and utilities accept the online documents? Thanks in advance
Some financial institutions don't accept the codes. I don't ask, I just write a letter saying a polite version of " here is a code, look it up, get on with it". This has normally worked. Let them say so if they won't accept it.

The system is very useful as it does cut out all the paper.

Bearz77

Jan 18, 2020
I am currently registering my mum and dad’s PoAs with their banks; some accept the code and some don’t so have had to take the hard copy in to some places as proof.

LoveYouMum

Oct 13, 2021
If the organisation won't look up on Gov.uk please check they have returned every page of your LPA. Mum's bank left a page on their photocopier, it was returned eventually but I was left with an incomplete copy for several days.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @LoveYouMum
just to offer a warm welcome to DTP

good point ... the certified copy of the LPA must be kept complete (I don't think institutions should even remove the staple to take a copy)

now you've joined this supportive community, I hope you'll keep posting