1. fortune

fortune Registered User

Sep 12, 2014
    Just to tell people about the Wickin Institute free online course on dementia, details here www.utas.edu.au/wicking/understanding-dementia
    I am part way through this course and am finding it invaluable. I now understand so much more about why my mum behaves like she does and what is likely to help her (and what is not). You'd probably need 4-5 hours a week to do it and it lasts a few weeks from start to finish. It is very well presented, lots of short videos and easy language for non-scientists. Also no exams or anything like that! So I'd highly recommend it to anyone dealing with dementia. It's making life easier for me as I feel I now understand what's going on with lots of things which were driving me round the bend.

2. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    I did this course a few years ago when my husband was alive. I agree that it's an excellent course and I really enjoyed doing it.

3. Rolypoly

Rolypoly Registered User

Jan 15, 2018
    I’ll take a look when I feel better.

4. scattysue

scattysue Registered User

Aug 20, 2015
    Very interested in this - I will take a look - thanks :)

5. SeismicPenguin

SeismicPenguin Registered User

Feb 28, 2018
    Scotland
    This is really useful feedback - I have wondered about doing it and having a recommendation is helpful. It's just finding the time that is stopping me now, because I'm also trying to fit in a vocational distance learning course. Enrolment closes 12 March I note, so I better make up my mind!!

6. LucyHP

LucyHP Registered User

Jan 28, 2017
    Essex
    Thanks for this I have just enrolled. Anything that might help me understand and deal with my Dad is worth a shot. I'm struggling to separate the man from the disease right now. Thank you.

7. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Good for you @LucyHP - I'm sure you'll enjoy it as well as finding it helpful.