Online Course - Understanding Dementia

copsham

Oct 11, 2012
Oxfordshire
On line course

I have registered and done the introductory section for week one. Suprizingly interesting!

The bit that I hadn't really thought about though, was the terminal nature of dementia. I thought every one passed away due to pneumonia/infections etc. It was said that there can be too much intervention because dementia is not seen as the terminal disease that it is ie interventions and medical assessments that do not enhance or prolong life.

I need to think about this some more.

Thanks again Izzy for the link. I think my internet searching will now be a bit more focussed and purposeful.:)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm glad you're finding it interesting. I'm further through it than I thought I would be for an odd reason! Bill still won't stop clacking his teeth and he doesn't have the dentist until Monday. It's driving me up the wall so I've been sitting with the laptop with the earphones on going through the course units so I don't hear him!

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I'm glad you're finding it interesting. I'm further through it than I thought I would be for an odd reason! Bill still won't stop clacking his teeth and he doesn't have the dentist until Monday. It's driving me up the wall so I've been sitting with the laptop with the earphones on going through the course units so I don't hear him!

Oh was it his teeth after all i was thinking it was the same clicking that Allen did and he's got not teeth, I hope the dentist sorts it cos when Allen does it it drives me crackers, like a dripping tap,

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
He doesn't have many teeth Jeany and he doesn't wear dentures. He is due to get another extraction but it's not that one making the noise. I think another needs to come out.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
OT
Clicking teeth >>>> google bruxism

It's. It that with Bill. I actually have that!! I clench my jaw and it clicks really loudly when I open my mouth. I've had a mouth guard but I couldn't take to it. Bill's is a loose tooth, I'm sure.

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
I have registered and done the introductory section for week one. Suprizingly interesting!

The bit that I hadn't really thought about though, was the terminal nature of dementia. I thought every one passed away due to pneumonia/infections etc. It was said that there can be too much intervention because dementia is not seen as the terminal disease that it is ie interventions and medical assessments that do not enhance or prolong life.

I need to think about this some more.

Thanks again Izzy for the link. I think my internet searching will now be a bit more focussed and purposeful.:)

How is the course going Izzy?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm really enjoying it. I suppose I'm doing a lot of it at face value - ie the minimum required. I make one contribution to the discussion sections but don't spend a lot of time reading the rest. I look at the resources pages but don't spend a lot of time looking through them unless something catches my eye. I promote TP at every opportunity!

I do enjoy the videos and the information sessions. A lot I already know through experience but it is good to listen to professionals who seems to understand dementia well and so far to one academic whose husband had Alzheimer's.

I'm bashing on with it!!

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
I'm really enjoying it. I suppose I'm doing a lot of it at face value - ie the minimum required. I make one contribution to the discussion sections but don't spend a lot of time reading the rest. I look at the resources pages but don't spend a lot of time looking through them unless something catches my eye. I promote TP at every opportunity!

I do enjoy the videos and the information sessions. A lot I already know through experience but it is good to listen to professionals who seems to understand dementia well and so far to one academic whose husband had Alzheimer's.

I'm bashing on with it!!

Good for you. It's interesting how differently carers respond. I have recently spoken to 2 carers who spent years 'protecting' their spouses by hiding their illnesses and just managing somehow. In both cases it took a crisis for them to really need help. Is it the stigma of a mental illness? We both decided to be open about it when my husband was diagnosed last year. I guess I feel more able to cope if I feel empowered and as if I am doing something. Is that how you feel doing this course?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513