one to one in house private care

bullivant

Aug 21, 2013
Hello my grandad Reg has Alzheimer's and we have tried all sorts of care which has not worked for one reason or another. We are now wanting to try private one to one care so my grandad can get a better standard of care. Can anyone suggest a company based in Sheffield?

Last edited:

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
Hi bullivant,

Welcome to TP, but sorry that you are having difficulty getting good care for your grandfather...and sorry to hear he is suffering from this awful disease.

We are not allowed to post recommendations for specific organisations here, but I think people can pm information if needed.

Are you looking for full time live-in carers? My uncle has chosen this for my auntie in preference to moving her into a care home. It is working well for them and he says the cost is slightly less. His agency is not located near his home, but the live-in carers go all over the country. I think he has a rota of two ladies who work for 3 weeks each.

Otherwise I am afraid I can't help, but am sure there are others here who will come along soon.

Best wishes

bullivant

Aug 21, 2013
Hi bullivant,

Welcome to TP, but sorry that you are having difficulty getting good care for your grandfather...and sorry to hear he is suffering from this awful disease.

We are not allowed to post recommendations for specific organisations here, but I think people can pm information if needed.

Are you looking for full time live-in carers? My uncle has chosen this for my auntie in preference to moving her into a care home. It is working well for them and he says the cost is slightly less. His agency is not located near his home, but the live-in carers go all over the country. I think he has a rota of two ladies who work for 3 weeks each.

Otherwise I am afraid I can't help, but am sure there are others here who will come along soon.

Best wishes

Hello Thanks for getting back to me. At the moment we do not want full time live in career as is alzeihmers is not so advanced at the moment. What we are looking for is more of a PA, someone that will make sure that he eats properly and will spend a couple of hours talking to him twice a day. We also then will want that person to make sure that he has what he needs in terms of food and sort out all the cleaning.

Hair Twiddler

Aug 14, 2012
Middle England
Hi Bullivant,
Sorry that you have tried so many options and are still searching for the right one for your Grandfather. I'm sorry I know nothing of Sheffield's agencies however I will say that any agency is only as good as it's staff - and that can vary from one month to the next in my opinion.
I think that you may struggle if you are looking for an absolute one-to-one carer. After all not many carers would want to work 7 days per week and visit twice per day - it will be more likely that a team will be suggested. It will be expensive too - typically I believe £15 - £18 per hour plus mileage - if the agency I occasionally use are anything to go by.
All best wishes - Twiddler