one particular harbour

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
Probably none of you except maybe our US colleagues have heard of Jimmy Buffet.?

I used to rule my world from a payphone
Ship out on the sea
But now times are rough
Oh, I got too much stuff,
I can’t explain the likes of me.
But there’s this one particular harbour
So far and yet so near
Where I see the days as they fade away
Finally disappear.

But then I think about the good times
Down in the Caribbean sunshine
In ……….. fun we had

It's just I was playing some in the boat today on my 'day off' and whilst I was working this track came up -- We were in a little harbour - Marthon Harbour - in Biscayne Bay on the millenium -- its actually a tiny bay for 2 or 3 boats in a nature reserve. Nothing there. Monique and I celebrated the entry into 2000 three times - one for the UK, one for La France and one for the US of A... And we were happy.. nothing special - just at ease with ourselves and contented... to be in a tiny bay with a couple of other boats - listening to a transitor world radio and banging a spoon on a saucepan to welcome in a new year.......... And it can never never ever be like that again and I am so sad.

Good artist Jimmy Buffet - in touch with lots of real things

Michael

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hi Michael
oh dear...it is so sad...but what beautiful memories you have....treasure them:)
Love
xx

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Michael
how well I know those feelings and the sadness when thinking about those times.
The dinners,the dances the wonderful holidays.
New years we spent with 20 friends,then over the years it has become just Peg and me,they have all gone now.So sad
Norman

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Norman and Michael

It is this aching sadness that makes me very unwilling to look back on how things were, I just can't cope with it yet.

I wonder if I ever will while Mum is still alive, it's too painful.

Kathleen

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Hi Michael

Yup, I'm old enough & 'square' enough to have heard of Jimmy Buffet, and yes, he really pulls at your heart strings sometimes.

It's sad that you & Monique will never be able to re-create those times, but don't ignore the fact that you shared so much happiness at the time, and your love was returned.

Best wishes

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
I do have some wonderful happy memories,but they become sad memories when I realise that they are gone forever.
Some times I think it is easier to not look back,I won't have the happy memories but I also will not have the regrets to sadden me.
But I cannot help looking back because there is no future,so I dream about the memories and then weep through the sadness.
Whichever course I take I live by my "Day by Day"
Norman

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Norman said:
I do have some wonderful happy memories,but they become sad memories when I realise that they are gone forever.

But I cannot help looking back because there is no future,so I dream about the memories and then weep through the sadness.

Dear Norman

You sound so incredibly sad. I don't know what I can say to help you, except that your many friends on TP are thinking of you.

I know what you mean about the memories, It's so hard to take them out and look at them.

But there is a future, Norman. You have so many friends here, and you seem to be involved in other things at home. I know you miss your Peg so much, but don't allow yourself to become isolated in your sadness, she wouldn't want that for you.

We're all thinking about you.

Skye

daughter

Mar 16, 2005
Dear Norman,

I usually only see Mum when I visit Dad in his home or if we go out for a trip, but I went to my Mum's house the other day. All around there is frame upon frame of photographs from my Mum's life. Children, grandchildren, and, as you can imagine, lots of my Dad at varying ages. She constantly adds to the collection, after she has unearthed some long forgotten snap, had it enlarged and found a frame. I do wonder if it might be best to put away the pictures because of the constant reminder, as I'm sure they must upset her much of the time. But then when she shows them to me and talks about past times, I hear the love she has for all that my Dad has ever been to her and I know that that must out-weigh the sadness a thousand-fold.

As Skye says, we're all thinking of you.

Last edited:

rummy

Jul 15, 2005
Oklahoma,USA
Michael,
I know Biscayne Bay well, spent alot of time in Key Largo and lived in Florida for a time. Yes, Jimmy Buffet is a hero of sorts here.
"Blew out my flipflop, stepped on a poptop
Cut my heel, had to cruise on back home,
But there's booze in the blender,
And soon it will render,
That frozen concoction that helps me hang on."

Must post these lyrics by Garth Brooks because I think it is appropriate to us all.

"And now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
But I'd have had to miss the dance"

Take care Michael and Norman,
Debbie

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hi, just loggd in again after a brief respite...........

If I don't remember the sentiment........I certainly get your drift. Take care, sending you love (incidently, you inspire me, along with on or two others from TP)
Love, as always,