One of those good days

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
Alan and I had one of those really good days today. I decided we'd drive into Derbyshire and do some walking and whatever else took our fancy at the time. I didn't even know where exactly we were heading but we ended up at Matlock. We took the Peak Rail steam train which was really a trip down memory lane!! We walked along the river for quite a way and then came across a wonderful place to eat with excellent food. There was a craft shop and a mill. Then we took a bus back to the train and eventually got back to the car. On the way home Alan had the map on his knee and was very busy checking the route and directing me. The directions were all wrong and I just followed the road signs but he didn't realise and he really felt good about being useful. It was more or less a normal day and I am so glad to just take them.

By the way Alan is 77 and I am 57. Alan is a very young 77 and is very physically fit.

Hello to everyone.

P.S. some of those quotes are wonderful. I had tears in my eyes about the shoe and foot one!! I showed it to Al but he didn't get it. I laughed at the tie a knot one.

Helen

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Helen, my husband used to have a stall at Matlock Market.
In the school summer holidays my son and I used to go with him and walk by the river. Your post brought back good memories.
Love xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Oh, I love Matlock too -- in fact all the Peak District. It was close enough for day trips when I lived near Scunthorpe.

I used to enjoy going to see the well-dressing, and I loved the stories of the plague village, Eyam.

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
Hi Granny G

That's amazing. I was right next to the market several times today. It made me smile that even something like that post I made can connect to someone else. I love Derbyshire. As I'm so new here on the forum, I don't know much about anyone. When I get a moment later I'll read some of your posts and get to know something about you and your situation. I wonder how you have been today.

Where did you find that quote?? It really touches me every time I see it.

Helen

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Helen,
thanks for sharing your good day with us. It reminded me to try harder to remember (& diary note) the good moments;
sometimes the bad times seem to stick in your mind more, and we mustn't let them.

Best wishes

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
`I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet`.

I don`t know how long ago I heard this or where I heard it, but it has stayed with me and is implanted in my mind.

It often comes to mind.

A Google search showed it most likely to be a proverb of Persian origin.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Helen,

Thanks for telling us about your trip into Derbyshire..

Eric and I spent our "courtship" years there..;)

Eric is 71..I'm not far off 55..Eric also was young and fit when we got together..15 years ago..we married 6 years ago next month.

We spent many happy hours at Cromford..feeding the ducks and walking up the canal..
When his grandchildren were young and stayed with us we used to take them to Gulliver's Kingdom..:eek:
And took my mum and dad on the cable cars many a time :)

Happy memories..

was more or less a normal day and I am so glad to just take them.

Helen..I'm so glad you took the opportunity..and it worked..

And thanks for the memories..:)

Love Gigi xx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello all:

Helen it was good to hear of your happy and normal day in Matlock. You will see my address 'Derbyshire' so here I am - another one to 'connect with'.

So pleased you could post about a good day. These have to be treasured and remembered as we all have the other sort of days too.

You will certanly get the support you need here.
Best wishes Jan