One of the Stages?

blackburn

Feb 20, 2007
North East
Hello Everybody

Can anyone tell me whether this new behaviour is a progression of Vascular Dementia.

Some of you may recall that my mother went into a Residential Care Home some 16 weeks ago having been given the above diagnosis.

She settled so well, and improved so much that she was moved from the dementia floor to a straight forward residential floor.

Everything seemed fine for a while but now all of a sudden she is complaining about everything and everybody in the care home and wishing she could "escape". :(

I know she can't remember everything that went wrong for her, because she keeps asking what happened that she ended up in the care home.

Is this part of the dementia progressing to another stage, or is she just simply becoming very unsettled. I visit her most days but this makes visiting very hard.

Just as I was coming to terms with her being there and the "guilt monster" was starting to pack his bags, I can feel all the doubts coming back.

Please can anyone offer any help.

Isabel

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Is this part of the dementia progressing to another stage, or is she just simply becoming very unsettled. I visit her most days but this makes visiting very hard.

Could be a bit of both , I know when my mother come back from respite she is very unsettled for a few weeks

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
blackburn said:
Everything seemed fine for a while but now all of a sudden she is complaining about everything and everybody in the care home and wishing she could "escape". :(

It probably is another stage, my Mum was like that in her own home, then again in a residential home after seeming settled for 6 months.

Just a word of caution though.............in Mum's case she did manage to get out of the home on numerous occasions resulting in her being moved to a secure EMI home for her own safety.

She has been there for 2 years now and is very happy most of the time, but more importantly she is safe.

Are you sure your mother can't get out on her own?

If she can, you may have to think about moving her again...........hope not, for your sake.

Kathleen

blackburn

Feb 20, 2007
North East
Another stage?

Thanks for the replies.

Kathleen, I don't think my mother will try to leave on her own. She never was one for going out even when capable. Apart from that she is on the 4th floor (with a lovely view), she would have to use the lift and she doesn't like lifts. She has the opportunity to go into the enclosed garden when the weather permits, but she won't even do that if she has to ask some-one to take her down in the lift.

Up to now, and hopefully that worry will never raise it's head where she just wanders off.

Isabel

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I am beginning to realize that when my husband wants to escape, go home or get away from this place, he doesn`t realize he is in his own home.

Only later, when he comes out of his lapse, does he ask what this place is, and how long we will stay here. Only when I tell him it`s our own house, and our names are on the deeds, we own it, don`t share it with anyone else, and no-one can put us out of it, does he smile and say `what a relief`.