One day at a time

theoilslick

Nov 23, 2020
Hello Talking Point users,

I'm new here, and quite honestly, I don't even know where to begin.

My Nanna was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2014, and up until this year she's been fiercely independent. Living alone, with a visiting carer and family rallied around her. But 2020 has presented challenges and has stolen my Nanna away from me. A number of falls and a hip operation later, and she's in permanent residential care. With my family forced to sell her beloved home of over 30 years. Social isolation really took its toll and my Nanna is now a shell of her former self. I never envisaged "lockdown" causing such a rapid deterioration in her health.

Only recently, we've been told that her care is now classified as "end of life", and I can't even bring myself to imagine a world without her in it - although I'm already grieving the loss of her fantastic character which has been fading gradually for the past 6 years. The current coronavirus crisis has made it so much worse, not being able to hug her, hold her hand, smile at her without a mask, sit inside in the warmth, help her navigate how confusing 2020 has been for her.

I don't have any questions, I just wanted to put this into words. To anyone who might be listening.

Thank you.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @theoilslick and welcome to DTP

Im so sorry to hear about your Nanna. I remember that time with my Mum.
I do hope that writing it all down has helped and, if you wish, we can hold your virtual hand throughout this period
xxx

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hi @theoilslick and welcome to DTP although I’m sorry to read of your circumstances that landed you with us.
2020 has certainly altered the life of so many with dementia and their families and not in a good way..
its a friendly forum so I hope now you have found us you will continue to post for support at this difficult time