One day at a time in Switzerland

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Hi all,
The thorn in the side today is my OH is hiding the coffee capsules. He drinks one kind of coffee and I another. He has no idea how many he drinks and now he is mad because the bowl is out of his favorite.(there are more of his favs in the pantry) So, he has taken to hiding them so I would not drink them (which I do not) but then of course he cannot find them...I find them in weird places like his bedside nightstand, in his shoes. But he is convinced he needs to hide them. OH the insanity of this disease. I buy them for him?? I make sure he has want he enjoys.
As some of you may remember, my OH was diagnosed at 49. He is now 62. We have had a long haul and it seems like he will surely outlast me in this endgame.
In January, I was diagnosed with leukemia (CML), and am now very well but have to take these meds the rest of my life. This leukemia is nothing compared to the relentless Alz story.
The big question of whether to come back to England (my hubs is English), or go to USa (i am American) or stay put has been answered. I will stay put as I cannot be bothered to move and would have difficulty getting insurance with my pre-existing condition. I really think my HP gave me the leukemia to clear up the questions about where to live.....so I am staying put in Switzerland.
Its a beautiful day here. Thursday my hubby walks with an old friend who then takes him to lunch. Alittle peace and quiet.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm sorry to hear about your own diagnosis. Perhaps now that you have made a decision about not moving you will be able have a fairly peaceful time with your husband - I hope so. (Also hope you find all of the coffee!;))

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Oh, PalSal, what can I say? Our lives are just crazy sometimes. I am often amazed at the bravery of people who post on here - and glad when some admit how much they are at the end of their tether, as this makes me feel a bit better about feeling like that myself at times. It surely says something when leukaemia can be dismissed as 'nothing' beside living with AD.
I very much hope you stay well and manage to find some joy in your life. Es
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
I'm in a different scenario to you, PalSal, but, going through a bit more business today with an advisor, the subject of moving popped on the horizon. I don't have to, but the offer was put on the table if I wanted to.

I'm too bloomin' old for that game, now, and I love where I live. Hoping all comes to fruition financially so I can stay here as we moved so often when I was a kid and here is the only place I got to 'put down roots', as we say.

Don't wanna leave this beautiful village. I'll bet you feel the same? I think you've made the right decision. Hope life works out to your satisfaction, and sorry to read about the coffee. This 'hiding things' game has never been solved here. Hubby now in a CH. Things I was expecting to find that he said he'd lost I've never yet come across! I hope he didn't dig a hole in the garden and bury it all! He talked of taking all our money out the bank once, and burying it in the garden. Scared me to death with that one!

We'll make it, PalSal. All the very best to you.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Hello...in the great scheme of things missing coffee pods should not rank very highly..... unless you have Dementia as an unwelcome guest in your life:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Could you try giving him two or three in a clear plastic bag or box and perhaps sticky tape it to the wall beside the machine? Failing that, hide the damn things yourself.:D:D:D
Take care and keep taking the meds...
...and if I had to pick, I'd choose Switzerland, I love it.:):)

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Hello PalSal - Sorry to hear of your diagnosis - my hubby was diagnosed leukaemia (CLL) in 1999 - it is now "dormant". Vascular dementia - now that's another story.

I hope that your CML is well controlled by the meds you have been prescribed.

Lilac

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

Gladdened to hear that you feel able to appreciate the beauteous surroundings, peace and quiet of your life, long may it continue.

And BTW...stop drinking his coffee. :)

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Thanks to all that replied yesterday

Many thanks for all your comments yesterday (and suggestions--I do have a separate bowl for his favorite coffee but that is where he takes if from and hides it ...then when he wants coffee it is not there perhaps the plastic bag is a better idea than a bowl)
Another fab day here in Switzerland. It is the holiday weekend, and I will be babysitting my new granddaughter tonight for the first outing of her parents. OH will come along to "help".
Thanks again for yesterday.....:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti