On the edge of this care.....

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
My mum was admitted to hospital on the 8th March & is not getting better but worse. We are in the verge of palliative care, 48 hrs or less.
She came in with an infection somewhere & was in pain & vomiting.
We assumed that the infection was in her leg but now she also has a chest infection. She has had at least 2 other infections at the care home needing antibiotics in recent times so I fear that the IV antibiotics are not working.

Antibiotics upset her system anyway & she started to refuse food nearly a week ago. She is still being sick & her kidneys are getting more damage. ( she already had kidney disease) They are still giving her liquids to keep her hydrated. She couldn’t really talk much & she was rattling this evening.
I can’t tell you how distressing this all was to witness tonight & then the dr tried to put a tube up her nose to try & alleviate the sickness but my mum got upset & wouldn’t tolerate it. That was just awful to look at.

The hospital are under instruction to ring me if she gets worse & I have informed the closest relatives to come & see her ASAP rather than leave it till later as it may be too late.

joanne d

Feb 9, 2013
Ah big hugs for you. Hope your mum is receiving treatment to alleviate her symptoms and they get the balance right.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Ah big hugs for you. Hope your mum is receiving treatment to alleviate her symptoms and they get the balance right.

They are still trying to treat her but with no progress after 10 days plus a further infection to cope with then the dr on duty tonight told us that she wasn’t hopeful that my mum would pull through. She looks exhausted & hasn’t eaten for days. And still the sickness prevails.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Kikki, Im sorry. Its the not knowing that is worst, isnt it?

Thank you @canary yes it is really the not knowing. I didn’t get a phone call last night & was really expecting it. I’m going to ring the hospital shortly & see how she is. They were ringing a physio on call at the hospital last night to try to move some of the bile from her lungs as she was rattling & not really able to speak much.
It is a year tomorrow that she ended up at the care home. Actually I need to give them a call as well.