On Tenterhooks waiting for blood test result

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
I'm waiting for the result of the blood test I had on 5th January for methylmalonic acid. If the result is high it's most likely my neuro symptoms are down to vitamin B12 deficiency and if it's normal the cause is most likely dementia. 2 different futures on the horizon and the wait is becoming unbearable. Results were due within a month, then by 17th Feb, now they're saying some time this week!

PS Methylmalonic - With unusual words like this, I used to just have to learn them once and it was imprinted in my mind for ever but I've lost count of how many times I've had to check this spelling. Just another annoying symptom.

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
Thank you both for your good wishes. No news today so I'll try and forget about it until the morning.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
I'm waiting for the result of the blood test I had on 5th January for methylmalonic acid. If the result is high it's most likely my neuro symptoms are down to vitamin B12 deficiency and if it's normal the cause is most likely dementia. 2 different futures on the horizon and the wait is becoming unbearable. Results were due within a month, then by 17th Feb, now they're saying some time this week!

PS Methylmalonic - With unusual words like this, I used to just have to learn them once and it was imprinted in my mind for ever but I've lost count of how many times I've had to check this spelling. Just another annoying symptom.
Everything crossed for you it’s all such a waiting game x

Hi Tricot I feel your frustration the waiting game can be a nightmare.
Do you mind me asking why if the result is normal it would mean most likely dementia? I don’t know if I’m kidding myself but I thought there were still other things if could be? I have heard lots of people mention depression having very similar symptons. Have you had a scan yet? Sorry if you have already told me :)

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @Tricot
I guess, with that figure, there's no concern about your B12 levels
I hope you are able to talk this through with your doctor
and, of course, TP members are here ....

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Result 0.2. Normal is anything less than 0.5. Devastated. Will reply to your question later, PJ.
Hi Tricot I’m so sorry to hear your blood results have come through with the result you did not want. I hope you are ok. Please do keep in touch x

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hi @Tricot, I'm sorry that you didn't get the result you wanted. Remember, as Shedrech said, TP is here for you after you have talked things through with your medical people.

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
Thank you for your support. I don't feel as bad as last night but still it's not good news. Until proved otherwise, I must still hope this is something other than dementia. I now have a date of 12th March for the next memory clinic visit where they will refer me for the PET scan and lumbar puncture. @PJ I have already had an MRI and CAT scan.

Make the most of each day. I'm trying to practise what I preach!

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Thank you for your support. I don't feel as bad as last night but still it's not good news. Until proved otherwise, I must still hope this is something other than dementia. I now have a date of 12th March for the next memory clinic visit where they will refer me for the PET scan and lumbar puncture. @PJ I have already had an MRI and CAT scan.

Thanks for getting back Tricot. I know that you are at a low point now but I must stress to you that, even if you do eventually get the diagnosis you dread, it is possible to live well with dementia. In my wife’s case the dementia was Alzheimer’s and specific medication has meant that we are now enjoying life better than pre diagnosis. I know that everyone is different, with different expectations, but it may still be possible for you too no matter what the end result of your tests and scans. Keep your glass half full, never half empty.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol

I’m so very sorry Tricot now you say it I do recall you saying you’d had some scans. The 12th March is just around the corner & hopefully your PET scan will be soon after.
We are at very similar stages so I should remember you :) I’m having my SPECT scan on 6th March.
Sending good wishes to you

Malalie

Sep 1, 2016
I'm sorry too about the fact your blood test didn't go as well as you would have wished.

You are here and chatting.... thats nice. You're on top of the situation.

Do you live in France then?

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
Hello, @Malalie thanks for responding. Yes I've lived in France for 15 years as of 19th Feb. Just realised the anniversary date has gone by without me noticing, another first. I have to try to be on top of things as my husband is much older than me and quite unwell, but I don't always succeed of course!

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Thanks for getting back Tricot. I know that you are at a low point now but I must stress to you that, even if you do eventually get the diagnosis you dread, it is possible to live well with dementia. In my wife’s case the dementia was Alzheimer’s and specific medication has meant that we are now enjoying life better than pre diagnosis. I know that everyone is different, with different expectations, but it may still be possible for you too no matter what the end result of your tests and scans. Keep your glass half full, never half empty.
Hi KPete you always give such sound advice. Thank you for sharing your experiences

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hi KPete you always give such sound advice. Thank you for sharing your experiences
Thank you. I tell it like it is for me. I’m never trying to say that life isn’t more difficult, it is. However, it can still be good with more smiles than tears.