ON SET ALTZHEIMERS

Dapper787

Sep 19, 2021
Caerleon South Wales
My husband had a CT scan and it showed he had Small Vessel Disease, Dr recommended seeing a Mind Clinic, we had an appointment and the Nurse did a screening test on him and he scored 81/100 what does this mean? She also recommended he start a course of Mirtazapine 7.5mg for his anxiety levels. 3 wks later having to chase up appointments we managed to see a Consultant who recommended upping his meds to 15mg because of my husbands Anxiety, mood and motivation swings. She also recommended a PET scan which my husband was uncertain about, he has now changed his mind and wants a PET scan so having to chase this up again. My husband hasn't been diagnosed yet but thinking its not going to be good as he has changed so much over the last 6 months. Is there anyone who is in a similar situation, its pretty lonely as I have never experienced Altzheimer before.

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Hi @Dapper787 a score of anything under 83 is seen as abnormal. Mum scored 83 at her initial diagnosis of cognitive impairment but she deteriorated and scored 75 only 6 months later when she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's . Small vessel disease is the most common cause of vascular cognitive impairment. The diagnosis at the moment may be cognitive impairment rather than vascular dementia but the PET scan will give a clearer picture of how the brain is functioning and help with the diagnosis.
The most important thing with small vessel disease is to reduce cardiovascular risks to delay the progression - no smoking or alcohol, healthy low fat diet with statins for cholesterol if it is not controlled, good blood pressure control, good control of other long term health conditions such as diabetes if present.

Dapper787

Sep 19, 2021
Caerleon South Wales
Hi @Dapper787 a score of anything under 83 is seen as abnormal. Mum scored 83 at her initial diagnosis of cognitive impairment but she deteriorated and scored 75 only 6 months later when she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's . Small vessel disease is the most common cause of vascular cognitive impairment. The diagnosis at the moment may be cognitive impairment rather than vascular dementia but the PET scan will give a clearer picture of how the brain is functioning and help with the diagnosis.
The most important thing with small vessel disease is to reduce cardiovascular risks to delay the progression - no smoking or alcohol, healthy low fat diet with statins for cholesterol if it is not controlled, good blood pressure control, good control of other long term health conditions such as diabetes if present.
Hi Silkest, thank you for taking the time to reply with useful information. My husband is already on Statins so thats a start, we need to know his Diagnosis now so that we can deal with whatever is ahead of us. As requested I have changed my username to Dapper787

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Dapper787
a warm welcome to DTP
it's good that your husband is having thorough tests ... though worrying, no doubt, for both of you
members may not be in exactly the same position, but we are, or have been, walking in the same direction, so do keep posting with anything that's on your mind and the folk here will offer sympathy, support and useful suggestions

Dapper787

Sep 19, 2021
Caerleon South Wales
hello @Dapper787
a warm welcome to DTP
it's good that your husband is having thorough tests ... though worrying, no doubt, for both of you
members may not be in exactly the same position, but we are, or have been, walking in the same direction, so do keep posting with anything that's on your mind and the folk here will offer sympathy, support and useful suggestions
We have seen a Consultant who wants my husband to have a PET scan, this was on 18 September she increased hus medication from 7.5mg tob15mg Mirtazapibe promising Medical staff will contact will contact us to see how he is progressing. Its been 4 weeks and haven't spoken to anyone. The increase has changed him its too strong, can I reduce it myself. All I want is some help in this difficult time, I just don't know what to do!!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Dapper787
15mg of mirtazapine isnt actually all that strong. When I got depression I was on 30mg of mirtazapine and I was told that it could be increased to 45mg if necessary, although I didnt need this higher dose (I dont have dementia).

It can take a good month for the affects to "kick in" and during that time it can actually make the anxiety worse, or alternatively, it can make you very tired. Id be inclined to give it another week, but if you are concerned please dont reduce the medication yourself - get in touch with the consultant (probably you will have to leave a message with her secretary) and be guided by what she says.

Dapper787

Sep 19, 2021
Caerleon South Wales
Hi @Dapper787
15mg of mirtazapine isnt actually all that strong. When I got depression I was on 30mg of mirtazapine and I was told that it could be increased to 45mg if necessary, although I didnt need this higher dose (I dont have dementia).

It can take a good month for the affects to "kick in" and during that time it can actually make the anxiety worse, or alternatively, it can make you very tired. Id be inclined to give it another week, but if you are concerned please dont reduce the medication yourself - get in touch with the consultant (probably you will have to leave a message with her secretary) and be guided by what she says.
Thank you, I will give it another week, I do contact the Consultant's secretary but never get a reply, its all so stressful

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
orange77