On-line pharmacies

reep

Nov 6, 2003
Has anyone had any experience ordering prescription medication through the website: www.memantine-supply.com? I would greatly appreciate any comments (positive or negative) you might have about the site?

Thank you very much.

Meldrew

Apr 28, 2003
London
Hello Reep
I've no direct experience of www.memantine-supply.com but as far as I'm aware it's the same company as the Mayfair Pharmacy based in London W1. (I make this assumption based upon both having the same contact telephone number and because they mention it directly on the website) Mayfair Pharmacy is a bona fide chemist shop which has been operating for a number of years.

It may be no more than a coincidence but, since www.memantine-supply.com started operating, the Mayfair Pharmacy site (http://www.mayfairpharmacy.co.uk) which used to be the place to order prescription drugs online now has a notice saying "This site is currently be maintained. Please come back at another time". I don't suggest there is anything sinister about this but it does further indicate that the two could well be closely linked.

The concern I have is that they offer to sell memantine without a prescription - this seems to be aimed at the US market where until very recently memantine was not licenced for use but could be legitimately imported for indivudual use. Although it's now licenced there it's still pretty difficult to obtain due to low stocks. I know that some people are pretty desperare to try it and may well benefit from using it and that this practice could be viewed as altruistic. However it is a drug that could cause harm if not correctly used. There are some people for who, whilst it may benefit them in terms of their Alzheimer's disease, it may be risky if they also have some other medical conditions.

Sometimes it's difficult to discern whether such a practice is a philanthropic desire to meet clinical need or, given the growing market, simply commerical greed - but then we do live in a capitalist culture.

reep

Nov 6, 2003
thanks

Dear Meldrew,

Thank you very much for the information. As a matter of fact, I am trying to purchase the memantine for someone in the Philippines. It is not available there, although doctors there are willing to read up on it to try to ensure that it is used safely. But as you note, we are at a desperate stage. So I am simply trying to ensure that the website is legitimate so that we do receive the medication and it truly is what they say it is.

Thank you again.

reep