1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

1. Tender Face

Tender Face Account Closed

Mar 14, 2006
    NW England
    I am showing as 'on-line' when I am not signed in and don't have the option to 'Log out'? Then when I thought I'd post a query to flag this up - I needed to sign in - even though my little green button was glowing bright!!!!!?????? :rolleyes::confused:

I know I don't often get much sleep but I am honestly not on TP 24/7!!!!!! :D

Tips for Dummies like Karen, please?

Thank you! :)

2. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    I don't know the answer Karen - I keep finding I've been logged out (and I never log out). I'll point someone in this direction.

3. citybythesea

citybythesea Registered User

Mar 23, 2008
    coast of texas
    I found that I had this problem at first...I have since found out that internet explorer has a few problems, one of which is loging a person out and setting offline settings. Certain bugs cause the program to do it. Hope this helps.

4. Brucie

Brucie Registered User

Jan 31, 2004
    near London
    When we ask TP to 'remember me' when we log on, a cookie is used so that the forum software knows that.

The software explains this as "This is the time in seconds that a user must remain inactive before their login session expires. This setting also controls how long a user will remain on Who's Online after their last activity."

At various times the cookie has had different settings. At present it is 4 hours.

As citybythesea says, Internet Explorer may also cause some interesting side effects as it is quite buggy software and Microsoft keeps updating it and introducing new bugs. I think Internet Explorer causes more problems on my PC than any other software. Mozilla Firefox is much more robust as a browser, but I have become so used to Internet Explorer and its quirkyness over the years that I continue to use it for most things.

As far as I can see the things that may affect the areas in question are:

- whether you ask TP ro remember you
    - whether you shut your browser down, or just TP
    - time between visits in the course of a day
    - whether you shut your PC down [ can't see what this would do, though]