On a lighter note

tiggs72

Jul 15, 2013
Thought I'd share something a little more light hearted given the nature of this disease and what we experience!

Dad has had much confusion over using a phone! The landline is now basically obsolete and there purely for the community alarm.

His mobile phone is the source of much irritation as sometimes he can't use it, remember what it's for or even that it exists and then other days he is ringing me from it continually saying 'did you just call me? ' and then 10mins later doing exactly the same thing again!

Yesterday I rang him to check all was ok after the fall and he answered saying 'finally you've picked up the phone I've been trying all day'

No dad I responded - I've just called you (although I let this issue ride as it adds to the confusion) and I've not had any missed calls!

He was adamant he'd been ringing me and as I'm the only number in his phone (after he kept randomly ringing my friend - the emergency contact in my absence) I couldn't think what was happening. Then he added that he was being told he wasn't allowed to speak to me by a woman's voice - my heart sank thinking he was now having auditory hallucinatiions during the day now.

Heavy hearted I drove to see him and found him very agitated - I tried calming him down but all the while he was upset about the voice.

I quickly checked his phone to prove it was all ok and tried ringing my phone to prove it worked only to be greeted by the message 'your call cannot be connected at this time as you have 0 mins airtime'

Relief swept over me he was indeed correct - ' see I was right I'm not mad ' he too looked relieved!

I quickly topped up his credit , spent another 40 mins repeatedly showing him how to use it (he literally forgets straight away !)

It was only driving home that I realised I'd topped it up only a week or so ago with £50! In my relief at the situation I forgot this and am now left wondering what on earth or who he has been ringing to drain all that money???!!!

But at least for one day it hadn't proved to be another decline !

Xx

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Oh Tiggs,

What a perfect description of moderate dementia encounters with a telephone. Mum is/was just like this. Even to the female voice on the telephone (in Mum's case a recorded message to say the number she had dialled what either incorrect or incomplete and to please try again.)

There are light hearted sides to this dreadful disease, and your description is spot on. I had to chuckle.

A lovely post to read. Your Dad is so lucky to have you, you sound so kind and caring. Generous too when I think of the £50. Telecom must be delighted, money for jam.

Keep posting! One thing we can all be sure of: your Dad will keep dialling, and you will keep answering. The things we do to keep them safe and happy! xxx BE

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hiya Tiggs, glad you found this situation funny and did indeed believe your dad;) amazing the most bizarre goings on and somewhat hard to believe things are indeed true....lol, some time ago my mum did keep on that every Sunday morning the people downstairs were having a sword fight in the garden:confused: I am round there every sunday and never saw this...ho hum....but did not say she was wrong, maybe a gut feeling.....yes one day, with a click click swish swash...... - on guarddddddddd.... found it was true...the 3 musketeers were indeed "at it" needless to say how I kept a straight face in front of mum as she was most indignant about this, I don't know.....

Take care and thanks for sharing the lighter side of dementia world.
Chris x

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
Tiggs perhaps if he does call you he does not disconnect the call properly and therefore uses up his credit. Not sure how you can stop that happening though

Jeannette

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa