OMG panic stations.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Just spent 2 hours with mum at the local cottage hospital. She was ok this morning so I left her with her friend (88year old neighbour) I did our shopping and the neighbours, got back to find the neighbour at her door and saying mum had been up and down to the toilet but doing nothing and that she was exhausted, so I dropped off the neighbours shopping and took mum home. Noticed her lips were turning blue and she was shaking uncontrollable and ho hoing a bit more than usual. So I called the health centre to see what to do they said take her down, since I don't drive waited for a taxi, all of a sudden mum looks like she is having a fit and i'm trying to hold her upright, a passer by who was walking her dogs helped me keep mum upright. At this stage I gave her GTN spray as she was having chest pains, and i'm trying to figure out whats wrong with her. Had to get help to get her into the health centre the nurse took one look at mum and knocked on the Dr's door who was with a patient (who she left) to see mum now, she was whisked straight through to casualty. Seemed her stomach was causing her problems and once she passed something she was fine, how mum was compacted is beyond me as she is on Laxido, which has to stop for now due to the antibiotics she is on for her chest infection.
I hate seeing my mum ill, and having Alzheimer's she can't always tell the medical professionals that she is in pain or exactly what is wrong and sometimes when I try explaining they don't always listen which infuriates me, anyway apart from being a bit tired mum is ok I just hope she doesn't get worse again overnight!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh how awful - for you and you poor mum. You must have had such a fright. I do know what you mean about your mum not being able to explain what's wrong - Bill is exactly like that.

I'm so glad she seems OK now and hope that things remain settled overnight for her. x

at wits end

Nov 9, 2012
East Anglia
oh what an awful day for you Carabosse.

Has your Mum been diagnosed with diverticular disease ever? That can cause the most almightly pain when a poo is 'on the move'. Just a thought really....

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Can't talk, Carabosse as I am just about to teach English on the phone and await his call to start up.

Horrifying and you must be shattered.
This is bad enough without having to contend with someone who cannot express how they feel. Glad the kind passer-by helped you. Glad she is over that episode. Can't they give more clarity on what happened? Just for reassurance?

Thinking of you - but you know that already! Big hugs to a brave lady who has had a bad fright today --> I mean you by that. Your Mum did just fine too though, by the sound of it. xx BE

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
My goodness. I think next time in such a situation it would be better to call 999 and ask for an ambulance.

Lips turning blue can indicate lack of oxygen. There are different causes of this, some serious, others not. In this case it might simply have been pain, which can cause the symptoms of shock. Your hands etc turn cold and blue as the body re-routes blood and oxygen for the vital organs, in an emergency it regards everything else as expendable.

Much better than waiting for taxis and then doctors in walk-in health centres (which simply do not carry all the equiment in an ambulance, let alone A&E), not to mention the responsibility it heaps on you struggling to get your poor mum there.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Thanks everyone... I had thought of calling 999 but knowing my luck it would have taken 20 minutes if there were none at the local hospital which is not always the case, it would have to come from the nearest town which is 12 miles in one direction or 16 miles away in the other, so at the time the logical route to take was the local hospital which is well equipped.
Yes mum has diverticulitis, she has had it for years but since being on the Laxido that hadn't been a problem, the last time mum presented with symptoms similar to the ones she had today was when she had a PR bleed, which thank goodness is not the case today. I was going to ask the local hospital if they could keep mum overnight to watch her, but they were full, anyway I could call NHS24 or 999 if she gets worse later, but the Dr (not our own) seems to think the antibiotics mum was prescribed for the chest infection might help whatever is bothering her now, whatever that is?

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I hope mum is ok during the night, I somehow don't think i'll be getting much sleep! Mum seems to be doing ok just now so fingers crossed what happened was just a little hiccup in the greater scheme of things, as no I don't want another day like today ever again!

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
How frightening for you and for your mum. I hope your mum is ok tonight and you do manage to get some sleep.

turbo

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
I have never seen mum exhibit some of the symptoms as she did today, the uncontrollable shaking and feet going from under her was something new and this was after her getting a clean bill of health from our own Dr yesterday.
As I said fingers crossed she will be ok, me on the other hand I have a migraine coming on so I will probably be frazzled by morning.

Pross

Mar 2, 2013
South east
Oh lord, what an awful time for you. You feel just so helpless when you can't ask what's wrong. Glad it all seems settled now. Do hope you have a peaceful night and that your Mum is fine.

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Thanks... we (yep me as well) will be getting ready for bed after Stargate Universe is finished, so should be bed by 9.00pm.

Big Effort

Account Closed
Jul 8, 2012
Hope you get a good night's sleep - so that you don't get to read this until morning. That must have been a very disturbing experience, especially after a clean bill of health yesterday. Sorry to hear you have a migraine coming on - probably the extreme stress. Sleep well and hope tomorrow is calm and quiet. Hugs, nite, BE

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Its morning (obviously) and mum slept through the night getting up once to use the commode, how do I know, well she has started to yawn or sigh a bit loudly even at 5.30am (or whenever she gets up to use the commode) which is annoying as I usually can't fall asleep again, but mum can!
Anyway, I still have a slight headache probably from a neighbours dog who decided to bark most of the night/ morning, I felt like opening the window and shouting for it to shut up except I was at the front of the house and it was at the back!
Mum this morning seems to be back to her usual self, so going to take her down the town in her new wheelchair that she was fitted for (she has a sore leg) as the sun is shinning (for now).

Carabosse

Jan 10, 2013
Yes i'm happy that mum is ok now.... just back from the town and i'm bloody knackered and sweating like a pig on heat (not that I know what a pig on heat looks like), its not easy pushing someone in a wheelchair especially when the pavements are not designed for them, neither are the roads! Mum was happy offering to get out if it would help, but since she has a sore leg I said no.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan