OMG how dangerous!!!!

Bristolbelle

Aug 18, 2006
Bristol
I have just popped out into Mum's annexe to put her dog out. Although she has not used it in a while she still has her minihob and oven in-situ. Anyway I was aware of a scorching smell, when I checked she had put a folded dishcloth on the hob with a mug of water stood on top with her teeth in it. I guess she was trying to clean them. For tonight I have simply unpluugged the hob, but tomorrow I will get hubby to remocve the fuse so it looks as it it is broken.
Just one more terribly sad day:(. So lucky I had to let her dog out we could all have ended up with a house fire.

LesleyMonty

Jul 7, 2009
leicester uk
How awful - we went through this with my late Mum. It may help but we had the gas/elec board out to put isolater switches on all appliances for this reason. Hope you get things sorted. Hugs to you

amy2512

Dec 11, 2007
Cambridgeshire
I have just popped out into Mum's annexe to put her dog out. Although she has not used it in a while she still has her minihob and oven in-situ. Anyway I was aware of a scorching smell, when I checked she had put a folded dishcloth on the hob with a mug of water stood on top with her teeth in it. I guess she was trying to clean them. For tonight I have simply unpluugged the hob, but tomorrow I will get hubby to remocve the fuse so it looks as it it is broken.
Just one more terribly sad day:(. So lucky I had to let her dog out we could all have ended up with a house fire.

How awful for you all Bristolbelle and thank goodness you popped into the annexe when you did, it doesn't bare thinking about what would have happened otherwise :(

That's a really good idea to get your husband to take out the fuse, and one I shall store away for the future. By making it appear broken you are being a lot kinder on your Mum than just telling her she can't use it anymore and upsetting her.

It is so sad when things happen and the person becomes more and more vulnerable. To someone with no experience of this illness it might seem like a minor thing but I totally understand how upsetting and saddening something like this must be for you. xx

BeverleyY

Jan 29, 2008
Ashford, Kent
Oh god.. what a frightening situation:(

My Dad often dries his hair and for some reason his whole body with the hairdryer! Sometimes, it cuts out where it overheats. He then obviously carries on drying/dressing and leaves the room. When the hairdryer cools down, it re-starts...:( We are scared this could cause a fire so have taken the hairdryer away for now.

Hope everything works out.

Beverley x